Post Message Search Overview RegisterLoginAdmin

The following 110 messages have been found.
(Search pattern:kiffa, since Sat, Oct 02, 2010, 08:44:32)

It's time! The 11th Annual BCN Holiday Bead Swap! Join up by November 26...
Post Reply Edit View All Forum
Posted by: Joyce Post Reply
11/12/2017, 10:02:53

It’s time, everybody! This is a fun event for BCN members - there is a two week window in which to join up. If this interests you, please read this entire post. Sorry, I can't explain it all in one sentence so you need to have about a 5 minute attention span here...

For new members, the drawing works like gift drawings that big families used to do... I keep everyone's name/email address in a file. When we do the drawing, I print out this list and cut everyone's name into it's own little piece of paper. We then literally toss these all into a hat, the old fashioned way. I sit with the list of everyone's name, and for each person, Colin draws a name from the hat. Then I notify everyone with the contact info for their swap recipient. So, every person mails one gift. And every person receives one gift from someone else.

The bead gift should have a retail value of 25.00 or thereabouts. Value is so subjective and variable anyway, depending upon the circumstances of acquisition. Bead Santas are welcome to contact their recipient if you'd like to find out more about their tastes….or, you may wish to remain a totally anonymous Secret Santa, the choice is yours!

What to give? Anything bead related..…a bead or multiples, bead books or calendars, finished jewelry using beads, or art using beads.

Please feel free to post here, but also PLEASE email me with your full name and mailing address in order to join the swap. This makes it easy for me to promptly add you to the list. Especially new people! There is no way for me to include you without your mailing address!

The deadline to enter will be Midnight Pacific time Saturday night, November 26, then we'll do the drawing and get the emails out through the day on Sunday. This gives everyone about two weeks to "get on board".

For international shipment, I strongly suggest getting your package in the mail by December 6.

For domestic U.S. shipment, I'll suggest a shipping deadline of December 15. Priority is generally 3 days, but with the holiday season delays can happen. First Class mail is a good deal cheaper for packages under 13 ounces, but slower, too.

This is a wonderful holiday ritual about community and sharing in the fun of our common passion. The internet has enabled us to evolve as a global collector community; many international bead friendships have started here on BCN.

Our record in 2012 was 47 participants from approximately 11 countries and multiple U.S. states. Generally, we are about 40. The more the merrier!

Please remember: what unifies the whole "event" is your follow-through with getting your gift in the mail in a timely manner. Please do not participate if you are so busy this time of year that the commitment you make when you enter could be forgotten. I can’t emphasize this enough. You are making ME worry when you don’t follow through with your commitment in a timely manner. And that takes away from MY fun (not to mention the fun of your recipient, who probably shipped in time), and I admit a part of my reason for doing this is that it’s FUN. Okay?

Thanks to everyone for being part of BCN! We are celebrating 15 1/2 years of bead talk on the net. Thank you all for your participation!

Here are two hand made bead advent calendars from BCN headquarters that went out in the 2014 swap. Each handmade envelope contained a bead gift. 24 of 'em! :)

Happy Holidays to you and yours,
Joyce, David and Colin

1_beadadvent2.jpg (72.6 KB)  1_beadadvent3.jpg (90.2 KB)  

Modified by Joyce at Sun, Nov 12, 2017, 10:45:46

© Copyright 2018
All rights reserved by Bead Collector Network and its users
I'm in for sure
Re: It's time! The 11th Annual BCN Holiday Bead Swap! Join up by November 26... -- Joyce Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: TASART Post Reply
11/12/2017, 14:46:31

kiffa_bracelet.jpg (123.5 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Happy Birthday, Tasart! :)
11/10/2017, 08:20:31

© Copyright 2018
Re: Happy Birthday, Tasart! :)
Re: Happy Birthday, Tasart! :) -- Joyce Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: alipersia Post Reply
11/11/2017, 10:19:02

Happy birth day Tomas

Kiffa_bead_sphere.jpg (28.1 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Please post images of some your favorite but badly beaten beads.
Posted by: Frederick II Post Reply
10/03/2017, 16:02:13

© Copyright 2018
Of course a Kiffa for me
Re: Please post images of some your favorite but badly beaten beads. -- Frederick II Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/04/2017, 21:16:12

on the face, this bead is in perfect condition, underneath is where the "badly beaten" wear is plain to see, one can also assume from the care in making this bead a wearable bead again with the metal repair, it was a very loved bead! One of my favorites!

1_IMG_0023.jpg (117.6 KB)  1_combo3.jpg (134.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Come visit in Tucson and attend our symposium!!!!
Post Reply Edit Forum
09/16/2017, 12:53:17

Here is the tentative list of presenters and presentations: Robert Liu / Author, photographer, publisher (ORNAMENT magazine & Collectible Beads: A Universal Aesthetic)
“A Critical Examination of Early Mosaic Face Beads excavated by George Reisner in Nubia.”
Building on my article Nubian Mosaic Face Beads. The Enigma of Variations, Ornament 37/5, 2014, I hope to determine if all mosaic face beads excavated by George Reisner in Nubia were locally modified or not, and if so, were mosaic face beads of Medusa as a Gorgon with stylized snake hair the basis of all early face beads. This would mean that all mosaic face beads of Medusa as a woman with long hair, bust and necklace are the result of altering the basic face cane by secondary hotworking.

Jamey Allen / Writer, artist and independent researcher
“The Albert J. Summerfield Collection - Great Glass Beads”
Albert Summerfield, who was one of the two important bead-collectors in the Pacific Northwest, over some twenty-five years, from the late 1970s until his death in 2003. He amassed a world-class collection of beads and jewelry from around the world, and of quite a few materials and cultural origins. But his greatest interest was glass beads, and particularly Venetian beads—including trade beads from West Africa. This short presentation will show some of these acquisition

Floor Kaspers / Glass artist and independent researcher from the Netherlands.
“Beadmaking in Bohemia, The interaction between supply and demand.”
The beadmakers in the Czech region of Jablonec have been masters at a great variety of glass beads to match artefacts and materials that were popular around the world in the 19th and early20th century . Talhakimts, prayer beads, shells, coral, lion’s teeth, amber, all made in glass, were only some of their products. The presentation will focus on the way the Czechs created a demand for their beads in parts of Africa and Asia, and will show a variety of examples.

Jonathan Mark Kenoyer / American archaeologist and Professor, Department of Anthropology UW Madison, author
“Sourcing and Authenticating Ancient Stone Beads: New approaches to bead analysis and sourcing.”
This presentation will provide an overview of recent approaches to the study ancient stone beads in Asia, with a focus on the Indus Valley Civilization, 2600-1900 BCE. Systematic studies of beads from excavated contexts in the Indus region have made it possible to define specific aspects of ancient bead styles and production techniques. This approach has made it possible to determine the trade of beads from workshops in South Asia to distant regions in West Asia and Central Asia. Beads made with Indus technology and raw materials were also produced outside of the Indus region, and this can be determined using both stylistic analysis and the geological sourcing of carnelian. Various sourcing techniques will be discussed and preliminary results presented.

Tom Holland / Glass bead maker, educator, collector, independent researcher and inductee of the International Society of Glass Beadmakers Hall of Flame
“The string the knot and the bead”
Join Tom in an exploration of the human relationship with the knotted string and the bead. This presentation will show images of some of the earliest beads, then advance through time to the invention of glass. Along with highlighting the use of glass stringer work in glass bead history.

Paul Engle / Award winning writer and independent researcher Exploring glass coloring in Renaissance Europe for beads and ornaments .
“Alchemy, The Alchemy of Color”

Linda Sweeney / Glass bead maker and owner , facilitator of the Sweeney collection and studio in Glorieta, New Mexico
“What makes contemporary glass beads collectable.”

Thomas Stricker / Collector, Artist, Photographer
“A closer look at African Powder Glass Beads”
Kiffa (Muraqat), Bodom and akoso, plus a brief introduction of Billy Steinberg's new book, "Wild Beads of Africa"

bcn-symposium-vers-small.jpg (180.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
kiffa bead
Posted by: Dog Bone Crazy Post Reply
06/04/2017, 08:41:56

9.5mm X 9mm with a 1mm hole

Enjoy
Sincerely
Thomas Mercer

2_ls7.jpg (103.0 KB)  2_ls8.jpg (95.4 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
the bead fluoresces in ultraviolet light
Re: kiffa bead -- Dog Bone Crazy Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
06/04/2017, 08:43:15

2_blkiffa1.jpg (66.9 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
My Tucson finds
Posted by: floorkasp Post Reply
02/28/2017, 03:28:20

This year, I did not do a lot of buying in Tucson.
Mostly selling (at the Sonoran Glass Art show) and meeting people.

Thank you everyone for making it once again a memorable experience.
Some of these were bought, others were gifts and some were trades. A mixed bunch..

Fist is an Idar-Oberstein talhakimt which drew my attention because it has been repaired with, I think, lead.

Second are two large Bohemian glass beads. They are a similar size (picture is misleading) but one weighs a lot less than the other.

IMG_2336.jpg (18.5 KB)  IMG_2337.jpg (21.1 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
More rare...
Re: My Tucson finds -- floorkasp Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/28/2017, 03:31:29

The blue bead is a very rare Briare Prosser bead, courtesy of Thomas.

The others are small Kiffa beads, from Leo Hakolo

IMG_2338.jpg (52.6 KB)  IMG_2331.jpg (16.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
MURAQAT - small size vs. avarage size
Posted by: Timbuk-2 Post Reply
02/11/2017, 17:47:16

Some time ago somebody posted a sweet little necklace with tiny Muraqat. I said, back then, that I would own such beads in an even smaller size. Seems I have been wrong! Mine, the ones you see on the attached photos, are possibly of same small size and not as tiny as I falsely remembered. Those (small) beads I was refering too, had not been in my possession at the time. Since I am back from Tucson, this beads - and others - are with me again (that's why I can post some of them today).

The smallest bead on the attached photos is 2.6 mm diamter. All others on the strand are slightly bigger - up to ca. 5mm diameter, what makes them more or less the same size than the those of the previous poster.

Still - this beads (the one of this poster and mine) are surprisingly tiny. It is truely amazing that the Mauretanian craftswoman are able to apply such intricate designs onto such tiny cores, and that leaves unconsidered their very basic tools.

In order to demonstrate the tiny size of certain Muraqat, I photographed one such strand of tiny specimen (2.6 - 5 mm diamter) together with a few pieces of avarage size.

2_DSC_0004.JPG (149.8 KB)  DSC_0006-1.JPG (139.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: MURAQAT - (Kiffa)
Re: MURAQAT - small size vs. avarage size -- Timbuk-2 Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/17/2017, 05:15:53

The problem with appreciating these incredible tiny masterpieces is that most people have never seen them in person. Pictures cannot do them justice. I once saw a 30" necklace of nothing but high grade tiny Kiffa beads worn by a visitor from Japan, when I asked about them she informed me that she knew nothing about them and they had been a gift from a friend from Switzerland. The beads were of such tight designs and so small that it became one of my personal pursuits to duplicate the strand. If time permits I will put together a photo series of the the tiny beads in my collection (shown is an old photo of a tiny Kiffa imitating a Morfia bead)

tiny-kiffa-tasart.jpg (147.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Contemporary necklace - Mauritania
Post Reply Edit Forum
12/08/2016, 19:17:54

I finally found the photo of a complete necklace, made 2012 in a camp south of Kiffa - southern Mauritania!

Material: Recycled plastic!

DSC_0149-1.jpg (163.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
MURAQAT vs. Kiffa Beads
11/26/2016, 09:29:11

Without comment!

Downl1oad_(9).jpg (51.2 KB)  P1080091.JPG (126.0 KB)  

Modified by Timbuk-2 at Sat, Nov 26, 2016, 09:32:43

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa Beads vs. Muraqat
Re: MURAQAT vs. Kiffa Beads -- Timbuk-2 Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
11/26/2016, 09:33:48

!!

Artistic_interpretation_of_CONTEMPORARY_MURAQAT-2.jpg (134.4 KB)  Perfect_Muraqad-2.jpg (178.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Kiffas with resin and lapis...
11/14/2016, 23:00:04

An unusual strand, to say the least!

As a lover of tiny and intricate little things of art (like Netsuke, for example) it's nice to see what others do with liliput things.

Two things have to be mentioned for the record:

1.) The beads - leave alone no size or reference was delivered - might belong to the smaller versions within the Muraqat-family, but there are certainly (much) smaller pieces then the ones presented here. I can deliver proof only after Tucson-2017, but will then show you a whole strand of old micro-Kiffas in great shape and intricate designs.

2.) The nice little "amber-pieces" appear to be phenolic resin or "African amber", if you like to call them such. Those pieces are of a more recent manufacture, though it must be said that (old) "age" alone is not the only factor for beauty or value.

Had been nice to see them being worn, though I bet that looks cute!

1_DSC07917.jpg (43.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
And Here
Re: See Also Here -- Beadman Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: Beadman Post Reply
11/17/2016, 03:43:16

Related link: http://beadcollector.net/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi?fvp=/openforum/&cmd=iYz&aK=60388&iZz=60388&gV=0&kQz=&aO=1&iWz=0

© Copyright 2018
Excerpts From Past Dialogues Here
Re: And Here -- Beadman Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: Beadman Post Reply
11/19/2016, 16:40:59

NAMES

4-19-2006 - Allen [to Evelyn]:
“I just received my new Ornament and was paging through it earlier today on the bus to home. Your article on Kiffa (muracad) beads looks very nice. I look forward to reading it.”

6-27-06 - Busch [to the audience]:
“Instead they are just a certain type of simpler Nourakad, though not mahmoud-made, of course.”

“Not all beads on this photo show Nourakad.”

6-28-06 - Busch [to Steve]:
“The bead itself is not only simple and plain, also rather,....yes, ugly even, surely when compared to other, leave alone elaborate Nourakad.”

“Nourakad with ‘Hambilya-design’ are possibly the most common design among round shaped powderglass beads from Mauritania.”

6-28-06 - Allen [to Stricker]:
“Kirk Stanfield swears that his informant in Mauritania specifically said that what we popularly call "Kiffa" beads are called "murakad" by Mauritanians. Further, he says the name "nourakad" ONLY refers to a shape of certain beads, and is not a general name for the whole group. "Nourakad" was published by Jürgen Busch as a general name. Kirk says he [Busch] was misinformed or that he possibly misunderstood.”

6-30-06 - Busch [to adjichristine]:
“Sorry, I am not so familiar with your names, but I think it was Steve who had shown some of his Nourakad recently, but asked a question about a specific one.”

6-30-06 - Busch [to Evelyn]:
“The patina, workmanship and general appearance tells the rest. A rare and obscure Nourakad.”

9-14-06 - Allen [to adichristine]:
“Murakad beads must be later than the beads they copy. As demonstrated in my article in Ornament, murakad beads routinely copy beads that are as old as the Islamic Period, and from as late as the late Trade Bead Period—the 20th century.”

1-24-07 - Allen [to PK]:
“Kiffa beads, also called ‘muracad,’ are modern beads.”

8-16-07 - Allen [to BCN Admin]:
“Are muracad (‘Kiffa’) beads modern? They absolutely are!”

9-2-08 - Allen [to Morris]
“Although some Kiffa (murakad) beads copy Venetian millefiori beads, I don't know of a Venetian millefiori bead with a pattern similar to this one.”

11-15-08 - Busch [to Allen]:
“NOT "Muracad"! MOUARGHAD is the bead's real name, instead!”

11-19-08 - Allen [to the audience]:
“‘Muracad’ is the name Kirk Stanfield received from an informant in Mauritania. It has been published, and he has communicated to me that he believes the name Mr. Busch prefers is wrong. If Mr. Busch thinks he is not mistaken, he can prove it. My mind is open. The informant didn't speak to me....”

11-19-08 - Busch [to Allen]:
“You, of all people, suddenly rely on an [sic] follow Kirk, not me, when it comes to information on ‘Kiffas’?”

“Right, Kirk insisted - that was a few years ago, when he returned from a trip to Mauritania - the correct Hassaniya name for ‘Kiffa Beads’ is ‘MURACAD’. True is [sic] is further, that I disagreed an [sic] said ‘NURACAD’ was the correct spelling an pronounciation [sic]. With an ‘N’ and not an ‘M’ in the front, I said! Kirk said the opposite! The difference was the difference between an ‘M’ and an ‘N’.
KIRK WAS CORRECT! But wait...!”

“... I insist, actually I know!!, that Kirk´s knowledge on ‘Kiffas’ is less than mine.”

“...I am certain that Kirk´s ‘Kiffa-knowledge’ on the other hand, exeeds [sic] the knowledge you have on this [sic] beads.”

“Had you read, had you known that I already came up with a third and very recent version of the spelling -one that is neither Kirk´s nor my version with an ‘N’ in the front - both had been wrong, actually - but since I had given the translation of that word in that post (2-3 days back), you should have sensed that I expanded my knowledge on the correct spelling, meanwhile!”

1-26-13 - Stanfield [to Stricker]:
“the ‘murakad’”

11-15-16 - Busch [to the audience]:
“I propose we change old habbits and call the beads Muraqat (‘The Colorful’)- their real name ..., in Mauritania, their place of origin."

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

THE TIME-RANGE FOR ROLLED-PAD BEADS

6-27-06 - Busch [to the audience]:
“Not all beads on this photo show Nourakad. One of them shown here is of Middle Eastern production, possibly, more surely than just possibly, made some time around 800-1000 AD.”

6-28-06 - Busch [to Evelyn]:
“Locally called ‘HAMBLIYA’, this ca. 1000 year old drawn bead from Fustat (Cairo) - being of the same period than ‘MORFIA’..."

8-17-07 - Allen [to Gabriel]:
“I agree that Islamic Period glass beads are ‘ancient’ beads—and I have never said otherwise. In fact, I am the PRIME motivator in the recognition of the contribution of beadmaking from this period. Prior to my personal work in this arena, the typical presentation of these beads suggested they were ‘Roman’—making them about 1,000 year's too early. I have worked for twenty-three years to change this perception and misrepresentation, beginning with what I still regard as the correct timeframe for beads from West Africa that I maintain are Islamic, but that are still routinely misrepresented as ‘Roman’ (that began in the mid-1980s). There can be no doubt that the tradition of Islamic beadmaking extends back into Roman times, and no doubt that this is an ancient tradition. However, it is much less than accurate to call it a ‘Roman tradition’—because this region is the HOME of glassworking, and it's the Romans who merely exploited it rather than devised it.
I hope this clarifies my position. I have said all of this MANY times.”

9-10-06 - Allen [to Steve]:
“Prior to the time that I introduced the concept of Islamic Period beads, all of these were routinely identified as ‘Roman’ beads. This was happening, even from knowledgeable bead researchers, as recently as about ten years ago. My ideas stem from my original research conducted in the early '80s, and stressed in lectures and publications ever since that time.”

11-15-08 - Allen [to Gabriel]:
“This is a rolled-pad glass bead, made from a millefiori plaque. As such it cannot be Venetian, because they never made beads this way. Rolled-pad beads date from Roman through Islamic times, and are practically no longer made (even by most fakers--which is how you can tell a bead is a fake). Your bead is somewhat similar to a bunch Thomas Stricker showed a while back, though from simpler canes. These are Islamic Period beads that inspired certain beads from Mauritania in the Kiffa (muracad) family.”

“What do you mean saying this [sic] beads are from the ‘Islamic period’?”

“You stated these are ‘Islamic Period’ beads while, elsewhere, you call rolled-pad beads being from Roman through Islamic times. How are you going to argue yourself out of your very own contradiction?”

“Such beads are most likely from Egyptian workshops - possibly FUSTAT-made around 800-850 AD - the original ‘design-idea’ goes possibly further back into the past and into Roman times!”

11-24-08 - Allen [to the audience]:
“In my 1996 article on Kiffa beads, I indicated that certain patterns copy the decorations of a specific group of rolled-pad beads from the Islamic Period. I demonstrated this by showing both bead styles, and substantiated it with a reliable reference (using a work by Johann Callmer—the eminent Scandinavian scholar who has published often on Viking beads). Here's a work that was published the same year as my article, that further substantiates my observation. This is p. 157 from a work titled ‘Ancient Trades and Cultural Contacts in Southeast Asia.’ Note that these same rolled-pad beads are shown, and are said to be Eastern Mediterranean and from ca. the 9th to 10th centuries (though recovered in Thailand).”

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

“EXACTLY THE SAME” ?

11-15-08 - Allen [to Gabriel]:
“This is a rolled-pad glass bead, made from a millefiori plaque. As such it cannot be Venetian, because they never made beads this way. Rolled-pad beads date from Roman through Islamic times, and are practically no longer made (even by most fakers--which is how you can tell a bead is a fake). Your bead is somewhat similar to a bunch Thomas Stricker showed a while back, though from simpler canes. These are Islamic Period beads that inspired certain beads from Mauritania in the Kiffa (muracad) family. They are fairly rare beads--so enjoy.

“This bead is not - compared to Thomas´ beads - just ‘somewhat simelar’ [sic], as you say. I say the bead is EXACTLY of the VERY same family: same size; same shape; same colors; same color combinations AND same production technic as Thomas' beads!”

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ANOTHER VIEW OF THE PROBLEM OF CRITICIZING OTHERS

11-20-08 - Will [to Busch]:
“You are wrong on several counts. You are wrong initially because you jump into a judgement about these beads without offering any adequate justification for your opinion. You say, at one point, that the right-hand bead is a fake made in Indonesia. In fact, it is nothing like the Indonesian fakes of Warring States beads. Then, elsewhere, you say that you have seen a lot of these beads in Peshawar. I know Peshawar quite well, too, and I very much doubt that assertion, or rather I would bet that you didn't look closely enough at the beads you saw there to notice how different they were from the beads that Steve posted here.
What I am saying is that you need to back up your assertions with something more concrete, something called evidence, and you haven't in fact done that with any of the beads whose authenticity you have recently called into question on this forum. So that makes you wrong, not just on this particular count, but habitually. It is quite simply irresponsible to start challenging things merely because you ‘feel there is something wrong with them.’ Why should I trust your feelings? I want to hear your reasons.
And you are wrong again when you accuse people of reacting in either a defensive or a cowardly way when they take offence to your unsubstantiated assertions or, alternatively, when they don't reply at all because they can't be bothered to argue with someone who hasn't had any arguments to present. Why do you assume that they owe you something more?”

bcn_g_rolledpad_bd_11_08.jpg (40.3 KB)  bcn_ts_rolledpad_bds_9_08.jpg (53.3 KB)  

Modified by Beadman at Sat, Nov 19, 2016, 16:46:05

© Copyright 2018
RARE MURAQAT
Post Reply Edit Forum
11/14/2016, 23:32:11

TASARTS bead is among the most fascinating "Islamic" specimen I peersonally know and have seen. There are other fascinating and possibly more striking Islamic beads around, still, this one is a bead to-die-for, as far as I am concerned. It is one of various Islamic precursors (to Muraqat).

Nishedhas bead is likely striking - definitely for the "Kiffa" collector. His bead is NOT "Islamic", but a super rare powderglass specimen. One I have never seen before - neither in design nor colors. A fantastic piece in the right context and that, the context, is the main point here. Actually you, Nishedha, should consider to sell the piece to TASART or me, because both of us have extensive "Kiffa" collections. For you - unless you too are an avid collector of Mauritanian powderglass beads - the bead is of lesser value in my opinion, though you might not like to hear that. If the piece is just "another bead" for you, is what I mean. A piece without a personal story - just one of many beads without a family, so to speak.

I am not sure I remember correct, what TASART said about the origin of the specimen, but I m rather certain he said what I state now too:

Your bead, Nishedha, is most probably a Mauritanian powderglass bead belonging to the "Kiffa family" - though it is one of their truely distant-distant relatives!

Where and when did you find it?

1_is_3.jpg (39.6 KB)  1_KIFFA-ISLAMIC-CONECT3.jpg (24.4 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
"Stunning Dunning (and the half strand)"
Post Reply Edit Forum
11/14/2016, 22:46:37

Another photo I copied and re-posted for the benefit - I hope - of the original poster and owner of the beads and maybe others interested in this outstanding beads from the Sahel zone!

The photo was posted over a year ago, that's why I cannot be sure the question is still relevant.

For sale as a whole or per piece, the poster asked!

If keeping them is not an option, I would like to know that the price-idea for the complete (half) strand was or still is. From what I "learnt" from Ebay, I tend to say that selling "single" is more of a promising chance to turn them into cash. Still - my experience as seller is enough to count as best advice possible!

If the beads are still available and the price were "beyond decent", I might be interest to be their next owner. Since it is more likely that they are already sold, I would very much like to know what you finally did with them and how much money you got - if this is not an intimate question to ask - for them where?

The beads itself are OK. Better than most strands, mainly because I see only one chipped piece, but not really outstanding(-ly rare), regarding their designs. Still a nice strand - no doubt!

1_Kiffas_001.jpg (124.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL SOME SURPRIZES!! KIFFA!!
Posted by: adjichristine Post Reply
04/09/2015, 09:44:33

Like many of you that have been collecting for years, i have poured over pictures of thousands of beads! Having lived in Africa and friend to many bead dealers, i have handled and seen many beads! But, because, i am opening boxes of beads that have been in storage for years, i am discovering surprizes that i did know that i owned!
A few days ago, i opened a box of Kiffas and this unusual, uncommon, rare kiffa was found! It was made to immitate an islamic bead and it even looks like the maker tried to make crude faces on it! It is a beaute! Our resident Kiffa king owns several and it would be great if, he could show them!I am thrilled to own at least one! Please show some of your bead SURPIZES! Thank you! More pictures in next post!

DSC04319.JPG (138.6 KB)  DSC04313.JPG (127.9 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: 30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL SOME SURPRIZES!! KIFFA!!
Re: 30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL SOME SURPRIZES!! KIFFA!! -- adjichristine Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
04/09/2015, 09:46:25

More pictures of my Kiffa surprize!

1_DSC04313.JPG (127.9 KB)  DSC04312.JPG (149.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa pictures!!
Re: Re: 30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL SOME SURPRIZES!! KIFFA!! -- adjichristine Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
04/09/2015, 09:49:19

DSC04314.JPG (142.0 KB)  DSC04315.JPG (151.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
always surpriSed
Re: 30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL SOME SURPRIZES!! KIFFA!! -- adjichristine Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
04/10/2015, 07:18:30

Pictured, your bead (2 views, center blurry beads) is a copy of the bead pictured in the 2 outside shots....I emailed you variations of the same types in many color varieties, unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow me to hunt for the exact bead you show......as far as a face design, I think that is dirt but it is too difficult to tell as your pictures are all out of focus, nice find though!

1_adji.jpg (79.5 KB)  

Modified by TASART at Fri, Apr 10, 2015, 07:22:19

© Copyright 2018
comparisons
Re: always surpriSed -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
04/10/2015, 07:56:06

Here is a quick compilation from pictures I already have of some of my beads showing the correlation of ancient to Kiffa, plus a few similar to yours. When I find the exact bead as yours, I will show it

3_combo.jpg (155.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
clear photo needed
Re: Re: comparisons -- Adjichristine Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
04/11/2015, 05:35:40

A good and clear photo of the area that you believe to be faces would be nice, if they are actually faces then you would certainly have an extremely rare bead, I have personally examined over 10,000 Kiffa beads and have never seen one with an intentional face.....seriously awaiting a good photograph that can show what you think you see!!!

© Copyright 2018
example of a clear photo
Re: clear photo needed -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
04/11/2015, 05:46:36

face-kiffa.jpg (150.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: 30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL SOME SURPRIZES!! KIFFA!!
Posted by: cod Post Reply
04/14/2015, 04:45:55

My Similar bead

IMG_2524_-_êîïèÿ.JPG ( bytes)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: Re: 30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL SOME SURPRIZES!! KIFFA!!
Re: Re: 30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL SOME SURPRIZES!! KIFFA!! -- cod Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
04/29/2015, 18:14:48

142_image.jpg (62.3 KB)  142_image.jpg (62.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL ...
Re: Re: Re: 30 + YEARS OF COLLECTING AND STILL SOME SURPRIZES!! KIFFA!! -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
11/14/2016, 22:31:43

The photo TASART posted - copied from his post and reused by me to support my argument - belongs to the same family of so-called "EARLY ISLAMIC BEADS" than yours, Adjichristine!

Though Mauritanian beadmakers copied many "Islamic" designs, this was not the case with your bead.

Another thing is noteworthy, though. Have another look at the two photos Adjichristine had posted. It is a weird bead indeed and though the quality and sharpness of both photos make is somewhat tricky to issue an ultimate statement, I believe I figured out, what's WRONG (!) with AC's bead.

Again - I have not a shred of a doubt the bead is "Islamic", not Mauritanian powderglass. The cane visible when looking inside the aperture is proof of that. It were not only technically impossible, but also completely sense-, and useless for "Kiffa Beadmakers" to copy, to "paint" (with glass) a cane into the beadhole.

But what about the white stripes at the top of the bead? They should be part of a black'n'white composite cane, were the bead an authentic "Islamic" specimen.

Yet this white stripes appear to be faked. They appear to be painted (with color - not glass) onto the bead, obviously to make it look more authentic, or, what I believe more, to turn it into a "Muraqat".

We can only speculate about the motives of the person who did that, but the fact remains:

- The bead came into existance as an Islamic product, something being made 1000-1300 years ago in MIddle East, possibly Syria. It's whole appearance, the general lack of various kiffa-typical features and the cane visible in the beadhole confirm my assumption.

- The white stripes do not belong to a cane (leave alone this beadtype usually shows black and white stripes, as TASART's specimen (and many others of this type) proofs.

- These white stripes appear to be "painted" onto the surface of the bead. I would bet not with glass, not through a prefabed cane, but some sort of oil-color. Not an unusual observation on "Kiffas" coming out of Mauritania.

We have here and Islamic Bead with white stripes that do not belong here. The bead, I assume, has been found in either Mauritania, Mali or the Senegal - the latter two states being close to Mauritania, where "Muraqat" originate from.

The bead - as far as the photos to allow me this statement - is a hybrid. The bead is an authentic "Islamic" specimen with white stripes added to give it more credibility. Either as "Islamic bead" or as "Muraqat" aka "Kiffa Bead.

I had to be proven wrong with hard facts to believe otherwise.

1_142_image.jpg (62.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
I love how...
Post Reply Edit Forum
Posted by: JustMe Post Reply
08/30/2016, 03:23:32

...the blue Kiffa could almost be mistaken for a piece of lapis were it not for the white dots.

rsz_dsci0515.jpg (243.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Those awesome carved phenolic beads...some information...thank you, Sarah!
Post Reply Edit Forum
06/20/2016, 21:46:54

From Sarah Corbett on the Ethnic Jewels Community on Facebook...

"I have some history on these mysterious beads! Made by one nomadic family in Mauritania called Lmalem . They travelled between Boutelamin, Kiffa and Nouakchott making these carved beads for the weddings of high status B'than Maure families. The family would supply the beads and have them carved. Originally done with Amber beads, but those would break, so since 1940 only French Amber ( Bakelite) was used. Name in Mauritania is Muhafen Luban. Meaning improved Amber. (source of the information is a Mauritanian friend from the region)"

Here, Rosanna's post from last summer's Picard Museum trip:

http://beadcollector.net/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi?fvp=/openforum/&cmd=get&cG=336363838343&zu=333636383539&v=2&gV=0&p=

and her image copied below.

1_JPBakelite1.jpg (53.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
BCN Santa was awesome!!!
Post Reply Edit Forum
12/26/2015, 09:45:33

My Santa, Cody Craynor, blew me away with his absolutely befitting Christmas bead gifts....knowing I'm a Kiffa nut, and he being a Fimo master, he did a most personalized present one could wish for.....
if I ever get to write about Kiffa beads, his creations will be listed among them! The heartfelt note that accompanied his creations really warmed the soul! Thank you again Cody!!!

IMG_7382.jpg (154.0 KB)  1_IMG_7377.jpg (139.5 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Questions new kiffa
Post Reply Edit Forum
Posted by: beadweyr Post Reply
08/15/2015, 08:35:30

Just wondering about newer African made Kiffa beads.
When did they start to hit the market and are these older new Kiffa?

Thanks
Wayne

wh-nk1-81515.jpg (179.0 KB)  wh-nk2-81515.jpg (177.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
New to the forum but looking to collect beads can someone help me identfy these??
Posted by: calumw789 Post Reply
06/14/2015, 08:25:52

Hi all.

Just been browsing ebay and found some of the largest beads I have ever seen!!!

I've attached a link below but the seller appears to have many. Just want to know there origins and what they might be worth so I don't bid too much. They look really nice and I've got a use for them but just wanted a second opinion.

Hope someone can help

Regards

CW

Related link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huge-Copal-Egg-Yolk-Amber-Trade-Bead-African-Tibetan-Berber-Moroccan-283G-/391171433541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b13a26445

© Copyright 2018
Newly made from some kind of thermoplastic resin
Re: New to the forum but looking to collect beads can someone help me identfy these?? -- calumw789 Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: Rosanna Post Reply
06/14/2015, 18:49:40

Hi CW,

I agree with Joyce's comments and would like to add the following-

I've been doing an investigation on old phenolic resin (Bakelite) beads and I'm also interested in amber-imitations made from other plastics. I'm a retired polymer scientist as it turns out. I reviewed all the huge beads being offered by this seller. My opinion is that these are recently made by melting together scrap plastic, mostly amber colored, of some sort.

My reasons for thinking this are as follows: Many of the beads appear to contain large inclusions with sharp edges, that look suspiciously like chunks of unmelted plastic stock. If you look at the holes - on most of them, the holes look like one or two irregular sticks or rods were used to create a hole while the material was being melted. Then, the "flash" or excess material around the hole was ground off. One of the beads has a very ugly metal (probably aluminum) strap embedded into the side to mimic the repairs sometime seen on old amber beads. Strand of amber-colored beads with these crude metal strap "repairs" have recently been on eBay and advertised as "old". See for example eBay 261924341949. The real joke about this particular auction is that the beads are said to be 19th century - impossible since the beads are clearly plastic and Bakelite was not commercialized until 1910, and these beads are not even phenolic resin but something newer. I think they started appearing in the last 2-5 years, so VERY new!

All this being said, I would love to have one of these beads so I can have the plastic identified. I recently had an "amber substitute" bead analyzed by a commercial lab and it was high impact polystyrene (also known as HIPS). However the minimum price + shipping to the US is 26 pounds for one of the beads, a steep price to pay for my curiosity. If you end up buying one of these beads and could spare a very small sliver from inside or near the hole - I will get the material analyzed.

If you purchase one for a project - enjoy the bead for the color and design and NOT for any collectible or historical value.

Modified by Rosanna at Sun, Jun 14, 2015, 22:39:13

© Copyright 2018
Amber imitation beads made from high impact polystyrene
Re: Newly made from some kind of thermoplastic resin -- Rosanna Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
06/14/2015, 19:29:21

Don't these beads look like they may be real amber? I purchased this necklace, which is made in a traditional Mauritanian style, to check out the large "amber" beads. The rest of the beads are antique Czech, Venetian, carnelian, and include a nice Kiffa. The seller, to her credit, did not make any claims about the "amber" beads, and the price for the necklace was modest.

I sent one of the light yellow beads to a plastics lab for analysis and it tested as high impact polystyrene by FTIR. A hot needle test gave a distinct styrene odor, and the material was tacky when touched with acetone (my tests). I would like to know when this material entered the West African bead trade - if anyone has an idea about this, I'd love to hear from you! I'm guessing post - WWII for sure, maybe around the 1980's. These beads appear to have some age on them, so I don't think they are really recent.

MaureNecklace1a.jpg (35.3 KB)  MaureNecklace3.jpg (49.3 KB)  

Modified by Rosanna at Sun, Jun 14, 2015, 19:31:02

© Copyright 2018
Is hoarding beads an illness?
Posted by: Frederick II Post Reply
05/13/2015, 11:37:54

© Copyright 2018
Collecting is not hoarding (especially when it comes to kiffas!)
Re: Is hoarding beads an illness? -- Frederick II Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: Will Post Reply
05/14/2015, 23:19:24

Historically, a hoard has been a concealed treasure. And etymologically, the word "hoard" is closely connected with the verb "to hide."

Actually, I think there is something sick about accumulating wealth or beauty in order to hide it away. But collectors, generally, want to show their things to friends, to rivals, and where possible to the public. In the past, we could only show them to a relatively small group, but now, with the internet, our collections can be seen around the world. That's what's wonderful about this forum, with all of the work that Joyce and David have put into it, and all the other sites that are similar though seldom as good; they are places for sharing, not just the objects themselves but information and discussions about them.

I think in fact that collecting groups like this are frequently the best places for interesting and beautiful objects to be displayed, even though collectors have come under so many attacks in recent years from the cultural property purists. In my experience the really unjustifiable hoards are in museum vaults and the storerooms of archaeology departments where a good 95% of the material will never be made public.

On a personal note, I’ve sometimes said that I don’t collect beads, I try to study them as an important element in the research I do into early patterns of trade in Asia. That’s why I came to this forum - to find out more about a group of Asian artefacts I knew almost nothing about. But as a result of hanging out here and learning so much from so many of you, I’ve come to appreciate beads in and for themselves - as a… collector. Without this experience, I wouldn’t have known about Thomas/TASART’s amazing collection of kiffas; I wouldn’t have bought my first kiffa from him; I wouldn’t have ended up with enough to make a necklace that I will never wear but will use constantly as an example of the genius of the women who made them.

With gratitude,

Will

Kiffa-comp315.jpg (95.4 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa discovery - Need some advice
Post Reply Edit Forum
Posted by: beadiste Post Reply
04/21/2015, 19:54:30

Imagine my gasp of surprise, finding these in an old cardboard box at the bottom of a wicker basket full of antique seed beads.

They're from about 20 years ago, when Duangporn Dunning and I split a strand of Kiffas. So, definitely originals, not recent or copies.

But do people still want these? They don't seem to be selling particularly well on eBay.

So, asking a favor: would those in the know mind advising me (by private email if you don't want to post to the list) whether I should put the whole lot up as a group, or go through the trouble of selling each bead separately?

Kiffas_001.jpg (124.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
The Home of the Wayward Orphan (bead)
Post Reply Edit Forum
Posted by: joybrisighella Post Reply
04/04/2015, 08:14:13

I'm organizing my bead cabinet and some things just don't fit into a category or are "orphans," odds and ends - no matches for them. I found these various beads tucked into corners of boxes and bins, they've joined my family of beads somewhere along their journey and there are some mysteries here. Right now I'm placing them in the category called orphans, odds and ends. I vaguely remember picking up the kiffa bead out of a box of random beads at a mountain man rendezvous one year - an displaced orphan even then, far from home, waiting for adoption.

odds-ends.jpg (120.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Bead ID Help 6-7 A D
Post Reply Edit Forum
Posted by: cod Post Reply
03/04/2015, 14:52:34

This Bead was found at excavation the Byzantine period 5-8 century of our era.
At me was written by one person and he told that it it is rare (kiffa-beads???) What is Kiffa - beads????Thanks

P1310202.JPG (86.4 KB)  P1310204_-_êîïèÿ.JPG ( bytes)  

© Copyright 2018
more Tucson acquisitions
Post Reply Edit Forum
Posted by: Stefany Post Reply
02/12/2015, 04:34:33

these were all on one string, bought from one of the dealers in African beads who assured me they were "Tibetan".
well...
i am thrilled to have these 10 handsome Indonesian-made lampworked Kiffa-inspired beads, as well as the 16 indonesian green florals!

indokif.jpg (142.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Bead ID imitation kiffa
Post Reply Edit Forum
01/27/2015, 07:58:16

Picked up a strand of these recently, well made avg 22x10mm

Indonesian? if not, where?
any help appreciated.

Wayne

Photograph_(36).jpg (98.9 KB)  Photograph_(37).jpg (61.4 KB)  

Modified by beadweyr at Tue, Jan 27, 2015, 07:59:13

© Copyright 2018
Bead question new sold as old Islamic
10/13/2014, 11:16:48

These and similar ones have been popping up all over ebay lately as old Islamic beads.
I have a few questions about them.

What country are they being produced in?

Are they fantasy beads or are they based on old bead types and if so anyone have a picture of an old one.

Thanks
Wayne

photograph_1.jpg (168.1 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
New copies, Kiffa Copies and Originals
Re: Bead question new sold as old Islamic -- beadweyr Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/14/2014, 06:17:29

Hi Wayne, what you are showing is the latest in copies from Indonesia, I am showing the original beads and the older Kiffa copies here, Callmer did a nice pictorial on some of these types found in Viking settings

3_Untitled-4.jpg (154.7 KB)  4_Untitled-2.jpg (170.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Jim Johnsons yellow beads
Posted by: Joan Post Reply
09/28/2014, 16:40:28

Jim, Jean Picard told me these are Czech lamp work. They come in other colors, red body, white, and others. That's all I know.

© Copyright 2018
Re: Jim Johnsons yellow beads
Re: Jim Johnsons yellow beads -- Joan Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: hans0621 Post Reply
09/30/2014, 01:05:54

These are the most specific colors and designs of the Czech beads.
Love to see the sample card Floor

P5150004.jpg (63.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Pretty sure these are Czech with one painted Prosser
Re: Re: Jim Johnsons yellow beads -- hans0621 Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
09/30/2014, 16:20:44

The one on the end looks like someone was trying to make a Prosser-type molded bead look like a Kiffa, or something?...maybe Floor has seen these before?

Czech1.jpg (49.3 KB)  CzechKiffa.jpg (45.1 KB)  

Modified by Rosanna at Tue, Sep 30, 2014, 16:21:24

© Copyright 2018
Prosser meets Kiffa
Re: Pretty sure these are Czech with one painted Prosser -- Rosanna Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/01/2014, 00:36:46

I am sure Thomas can tell you more, but here are some interesting examples from Stefany's collection that I was able to photograph. First picture shows, like yours, Prosser beads being used as a base for the kiffa decoration.

Second picture shows Prosser beads that have been cut. Perhaps so that they are ready for being decorated to be a Kiffa bead.

I have never seen too many kiffa beads, so I do not know how many actually use Prossers as a base bead. Would be interesting to find out.

DSC_0019.jpg (22.0 KB)  1_DSC_0012.jpg (31.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
let's try to clarify
Re: clarification needed please -- Rosanna Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/01/2014, 06:47:27

Hi Rosanna, the Kiffa bead you show appears to have been made from 100% powder glass including the core, you may have found it with the Prosser beads but it does not belong to this group. I believe what Floor was trying to say is that the Kiffa makers have, on occasion, used European made beads as the base of their beads, rather than making a powder glass base. This practise of using European glass beads as bases or cores is not limited to Prosser beads, I have numerous examples made on Czech Uranium glass and others, I also have several very rare examples that have Venetian Rosetta beads as a core. The Mauritanian women were not decorating Prosser beads for the Prosser bead companies, they were using a readily available product to speed up their personal bead making. I hope this helps

© Copyright 2018
searching Kiffa Core
Re: let's try to clarify -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/01/2014, 06:52:53

I just did a search about cores and there are quite a few good examples in the link, please scroll down for all the pictures (the image shows Kiffas built on Czech glass beads)

Related link: Looking at the old posts (click here)

© Copyright 2018
Dutch meet up at the Duif
09/28/2014, 08:17:35

We had a great bead-filled day at the Duif, and at our lunch.
Great weather, great beads, great company.

Some pictures to keep those too far away to join us happy.

First picture shows white Prosser rings, made to resemble shell rings worn by Mali women as part of jewelry, Prosser talhakimts and some Czech glass beads.

DSC07900.jpg (38.2 KB)  DSC07902.jpg (71.1 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa
Re: Dutch meet up at the Duif -- floorkasp Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
09/28/2014, 08:23:47

Some of the coolest and tiniest kiffa beads I ever saw....

DSC07917.jpg (43.2 KB)  1_DSC07919.jpg (46.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: Kiffa
Re: Kiffa -- floorkasp Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: Anansi Post Reply
09/29/2014, 08:11:14

Yesterday I was also impressed when I saw these beautiful Kiffa's and amber when we had our lunch and I took this picture. Gorgeous Karin!

Nel

1_DSC00085.JPG (143.0 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Friendly discourse...modified...
Posted by: jake Post Reply
03/16/2014, 13:24:45

I have enjoyed our Bead Collector Forum since joining, some seven years ago ish (I know... I'm a baby). Lately I have noted a reoccurring thread during conversations with several posters both public, and private (myself included). That commonality being the stifling consternation of posting an error, showing ignorance, even the need to edit and re-edit a post. All so very understandable, especially among the many accomplished forumites I respect so.

While possibly I could do more listening and less talking!! Actually my learning needs are more met with the myriad of interactions. There are also soooo many times when I realize I printed an error for everyone to see!! Ahhhhh... Ooopsies. It is hard not to misspeak, or make an error, especially with my lazy typing. Regrettably, I usually try to fit a complete thought onto the subject bar, and often simplify my assertion to make it fit. Alternately, I don't want to invariably start a sentence with the oft needed qualifiers: "From a photo", Without provenance", or "IMHO" etc... I actually hope the qualifiers are inherently understood, as we all have the same cyber limitations. A spoken conversation is so fluid, you can modify a statement so easily, while a written statement feels like such a treatise. Or sometimes I just blow it! Honestly (not pertaining to Will) most of us cannot type as fast, or as accurate as our minds stream.

I very earnestly feel that most of the time when I leave out data, inadvertently slight, feel slighted, or that my knowledge is faulty, it stems from either miscommunication, laziness, or bad typing.s... Minus a shunned disruptor here or there we are all here to learn, share, express our understanding and love of beads!!

No accusations, no personal direction, I just miss some of you! The point is, I want to encourage all our friends here at the BCN to post more, lurk less!

Thank you everyone for posting, and a thank you to David, and Joyce too. The end.

www.nomadbeads.com

Modified by jake at Sun, Mar 16, 2014, 21:35:18

© Copyright 2018
Thank you for your thoughts, Jake and Mel,
Re: Friendly discourse...modified... -- jake Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
03/16/2014, 22:50:50

It's unfortunate if many fear harsh judgement from others enough to keep them from posting. While it's good to be on top of grammar, I'd rather someone get their posts up without worrying too much about each point being perfectly made......there's a lot to be said for spontaneity and compassion too! And we must remember that English, while it's "our" language here in the U.S., may be someone else's second, third, or fourth language.

Jake, you bring up so many valid points! I remember telling you in Tucson at Marisco's.........Life's a river! There are more beads to see and talk about in the very next day, the very next moment! I feel like I must grasp at the wisdom rolling past me the best I can, but there is ever more to come! And this forum keeps it all for me to reference later. I can't say how much fun I have when I search material from the past and get side-tracked with other "stuff" I hadn't thought about in some time.

And Mel, what fun it is to see the cool beads you're finding and learning about, from chevrons to Ban Chang to Kiffa and now Ojime....congrats, and thanks to everyone for the tips and pointers.

I doubt that I am the only person who finds day to day life getting more demanding all the time. I feel my "straight" job is eating me alive......beads, and this forum, are sometimes the only true pleasure there is in a work day. And I am thankful to you all.

Some people may define themselves as researchers, historians, collectors...some have many decades in this passion for beads, some are newcomers. All are welcome here. I love this bead community, and I love it when people find their place in it.

For now, I must carry on with the week ahead in mind, and get some sleep. Maybe I can make more concise posts in a day or two. Thank you, everyone!

3_images.jpg (6383 bytes)  

Modified by Joyce at Sun, Mar 16, 2014, 22:52:44

© Copyright 2018
Ok, I know it's not Kiffa (or is it?)
Posted by: Mel H Post Reply
02/20/2014, 17:45:49

I should start this out by saying I took apart the Kiffa strand I have, and while I was sorting through the loose beads I found some that don't look like the other beads from the strand...this first bead isn't surface decorated like a Kiffa. Is it possibly Phoenician? Age? Appreciate the help

13_002.jpg (137.0 KB)  9_004.jpg (154.3 KB)  

Modified by Mel H at Fri, Feb 21, 2014, 01:40:34

© Copyright 2018
Some others I could use help with
Re: Ok, I know it's not Kiffa (or is it?) -- Mel H Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/20/2014, 20:22:27

the ones sitting on the calipers I am pretty sure aren't Kiffa (the smaller one on the right has a translucent green core)...the ones sitting on the table I can't tell whether they're Kiffa or not...thanks again for any help

004-2.jpg (140.0 KB)  2_006-2.jpg (154.1 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
the top left bead in your picture
Re: Some others I could use help with -- Mel H Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/21/2014, 05:46:09

here is an old post about this type, your bead is heavily worn but it is the same type as pictured, click on the link for a brief description.....the remaining beads are powder glass decorated over European cores made in Mauritania, most probably pre 1970's

Related link: bead type

© Copyright 2018
Made in Oualata
Re: Some others I could use help with -- Mel H Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/21/2014, 06:23:42

usually referred to as Oualata types, they vary from the Kiffa (Muraghad) in size, simplicity and color, many are on foreign cores

© Copyright 2018
The ones on the table (Near caliper) look to be Kiffa with European core. They are all beautiful.
Posted by: jake Post Reply
02/20/2014, 20:47:12

www.nomadbeads.com

Modified by jake at Thu, Feb 20, 2014, 20:48:29

© Copyright 2018
Thanks Jake - last post for tonight - sweet repaired Kiffa
Re: The ones on the table (Near caliper) look to be Kiffa with European core. They are all beautiful. -- jake Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/20/2014, 21:16:51

I love this one, the top broke off of it so someone replaced it with a coral bead so it could still be strung. Repaired beads are well loved beads! Seems they have more soul than pristine beads, they've been around the block a time or two :)
Now off to finish my tea and surf through the archives.

1_002-3.jpg (146.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa and Islamic beads
Re: Ok, I know it's not Kiffa (or is it?) -- Mel H Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/21/2014, 07:18:50

in the case of what came first, the chicken or the egg, we will probably never know! in the case of the Kiffa bead or the Islamic bead we can rest assured that the Islamic beads came first. Many Kiffa types copy the Islamic beads in color, pattern, shape and size, I consider the Islamic beads that resemble Kiffa beads pre-courser beads.....here is a shot I did for Ornament magazine with a side by side comparison of the 2 types. The Powder glass, Kiffa beads are the strand on the left side and the Islamic beads on the right.

© Copyright 2018
Broken &/or repaired Kiffa
02/21/2014, 12:51:32

Here is a photo of the broken or repaired beads from this strand. Thankfully there are a lot more that have no damage, but there are some in here I really wish were in better condition...
More to follow, editing pictures is such a chore!

1_016.jpg (165.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
More Oualata
02/21/2014, 12:55:02

here are some more Oualata types using all different colors of cores...I thought it was interesting to learn that the cylinder Kiffas have two and sometimes three European beads inside as the core rather than powder glass, I can actually see that in some of the cylinders I have, the surface is bumpy from the beads inside, and one is broken so you can see the bead inside...

3_014.jpg (158.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Unbroken or really well repaired Kiffa
02/21/2014, 12:57:49

here are the unbroken beads from this strand...the large polychrome triangle has a very nice repair which is almost undetectable...

1_018.jpg (130.5 KB)  2_028.jpg (129.0 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: Unbroken or really well repaired Kiffa
Re: Unbroken or really well repaired Kiffa -- Mel H Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/21/2014, 13:00:22

a couple more shots of the big repaired triangle 26mm x 18mm

020.jpg (159.9 KB)  1_022.jpg (143.1 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Reground core Kiffas - and I'm done for now
02/21/2014, 13:06:08

thanks for bearing with me, I'm just a little enthusiastic about these beads if you couldn't tell ;o)

5_012.jpg (110.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Tucson 2014, a personal overview.....day 1
02/17/2014, 09:33:52

as some of you might know I have been a collector for many years and a part time seller for the past 3 years, with Tucson being the "go to" place for both sides of the field.... I have now set up and sold from the Grant Inn, formerly Roadway and soon to be the Grad Lux Resort and Hotel, for the past 2 years, the following will be a brief glimpse into a sellers world at the Tucson show......the first 2 pictures are of the first day in town, unloading and setting things in the "Ballroom" for the set-up......the Roman Centurion is a prop I found in a pawn shop and thought he would look good outside the back door to attract lookers....we are known as the ETHNOGRAPHIC GROUP in the Ballroom

IMG_5719.jpg (135.1 KB)  IMG_5720.jpg (125.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
more goodies
Re: Tucson 2014, a personal overview.....day 1 -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/17/2014, 10:24:32

a nice mix of bead varieties and some Kiffa beads under glass

IMG_5931.jpg (169.0 KB)  IMG_5933.jpg (162.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
6 layer chevron strand w/ Peace Medal - Need appraisal help
02/05/2014, 14:22:04

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a while, life has been pretty tough for me the past few months and I have been holed-up waiting for the storm to pass. But, my fortunes have taken a decided up-tick. I am attaching some photos of a huge 6-7 layer chevron assemblage with a Peace Medal. I probably need to get a professional appraisal done, what are your thoughts?

12_002.jpg (144.2 KB)  8_004.jpg (152.6 KB)  

Modified by Mel H at Wed, Feb 05, 2014, 15:55:08

© Copyright 2018
Crazy Kiffa strand!!
Re: 6 layer chevron strand w/ Peace Medal - Need appraisal help -- Mel H Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/05/2014, 16:12:21

Let me know if you guys want any close-up shots.

016-2.jpg (139.2 KB)  1_002-2.jpg (165.9 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Bead ID please
Posted by: nishedha Post Reply
01/19/2014, 03:12:11

This small (10 mm) glass bead was strung with Islamic banded agate beads.

is_1.jpg (32.8 KB)  is_3.jpg (39.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
the polychrome version
Re: Bead ID please -- nishedha Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/19/2014, 09:21:47

Nice find!

Related link: more

© Copyright 2018
Re: Oh, I see: both of them are Islamic -- I thought yours was a kiffa (so ignorant).
Re: Oh, I see: both of them are Islamic -- I thought yours was a kiffa (so ignorant). -- nishedha Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: dannoh40 Post Reply
01/20/2014, 16:15:25

Yours is a kiffa bead, made in the likeness of an Islamic, folded glass bead. But not Islamic. But it is a supper kiffa bead and they are very collectable $$$

© Copyright 2018
here is the pic with markings
Re: Re: Oh, I see: both of them are Islamic -- I thought yours was a kiffa (so ignorant). -- dannoh40 Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/21/2014, 08:16:50

© Copyright 2018
About international beaded friendship...
Post Reply Edit Forum
Posted by: Uwe Post Reply
01/08/2014, 12:18:40

It was kind of a déjà vu, when the postman brought two packages from the US today, like the same time last year, when one arrived from Joyce and another from the Picards the same day...BCN and the Bead Swap definitely brings people “together”, even if there are thousands of miles distance...
Now the story of the second package (first one came from Fred):

Some weeks ago I surfed on Facebook and followed a link to an Italian side, Thomas (TASART) had posted, and found a nice image there, of an African chief, wearing beads...I shared the image and Thomas asked me, if it is from the book “African Kings”, that I didn´t know at this time. I searched the web for the book and offers, and gave feedback to Thomas, but could not decide to buy, because even used ones where expensive, and suddenly Thomas sent a message, that he just bought the book for me from a seller in the US and that he will send it to me, after he got it...Isn´t that great?!
Well, this was the second package today, but not only this beautiful book he sent...together with the book came this number from “Ornament”, with the report about Kiffa beads (I always wanted that one!), a beautiful illustrated magazine from 1971, I had never heard from before and a nice Christmas greeting card...Wow and double WOW, Thomas!! Thank you so much! If I ever can do something likely, let me know!

1_kings.jpg (159.4 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Phenolic...
Posted by: jake@nomaddesign Post Reply
12/05/2013, 19:13:18

My current effort in progress, a commissioned job with clients beads. 25-30% complete...

IMG_2084.jpg (169.4 KB)  3_photo.jpg (153.8 KB)  

Modified by jake@nomaddesign at Thu, Dec 05, 2013, 22:25:38

© Copyright 2018
Would love to see a close-up
Re: Hi Rosanna~ Yes I cut the red felt…I've been thinking to use a felting needle and combine the sets. -- jake@nomaddesign Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
12/09/2013, 08:59:31

If you have some time, I'd love to see a close-up of the beads at the center with the red felt. It is a very attractive design, which I am eager to "steal" if you don't mind!

In the meantime, your gorgeous necklace is my new computer wallpaper.

Thanks for posting, Jake!

© Copyright 2018
Wow!!! Thanks Rosanna!~
Re: Would love to see a close-up -- Rosanna Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
12/09/2013, 22:11:38

I am so happy to oblige, of course it is not really my design (N. African). I sure do love all those extra perforations. BTW, on these tassels I am going to remove the shell rondelles, and add a bunch of those Moroccan zebra shells, and several more Kiffa. Do you think it is wasteful to put Kiffa in the back? I also have a couple of really beautiful re-cut (in antiquity) extraordinarily small double diamond phenolics to add to the tassels. As you can see, it would behoove the design to felt needle the two (actually should be three) disks together into one.

I would also want to mention, the blue teardrop Kiffa peeking out of one of the tassels has a beautiful red eye on the underside!! In addition I gotta say that, Mauritanian re-ground double diamond phenolics are under appreciated.

Finally one more point, Rosanna have you checked out the soooper cool beads on the Corning Museum of Glass Pinterest page? Link below...

Photo creds. for my son, again!...

DSC_1475.JPG (153.3 KB)  DSC_1482.JPG (168.0 KB)  

Related link: Scroll down, and check out your soooper cool beads Rosanna~
Modified by jake@nomaddesign at Tue, Dec 10, 2013, 01:09:26

© Copyright 2018
Sad news announced this morning,
12/01/2013, 08:16:11

Posted by Jamey on Beads-L:

For those of you who were friends and admirers of Howard Opper and his wife Marie-José, who in recent years have been living in the south of France, with great sorrow, Marie-José has just told me that Howard passed away after a two-year struggle with pancreatic cancer.

I was in France just over a year ago, and spent a couple of days with Howard and Marie-José--and we had a lovely time together. I am so grateful for those memories.

For those of you who may not know, Howard and Marie-Jo met when he was stationed in Senegal while working for the Peace Corps. They came to America and settled in Washington, DC in about 1988, and joined the Bead Society of Greater Washington--where Howard served as President in 1990, the year the organization sponsored the Second International Bead Conference.

Howard will be remembered as a kind, handsome, likable man, with a sincere interest in beads and their history, and has a glass-beadmaker--having taking up this art just prior to their return to France. Marie-Jo also indulged in beadmaking, along with other arts. For several years, they managed a charming shop in Collioure (an artist colony), while residing in Banyuls-sur-Mer.

I greatly value the time I spent with them in DC, and that Howard and Marie-Jo always generously shared information, and allowed me to document their collections. Their original research has been presented in four publications they produced, two being self-published, on Kiffa beads and Czech beads; and two having been presented in Beads (the journal of the Society of Bead Researchers), on French glass-beadmaking, and the archaeological recovery of trade beads in Senegal.

It is very sad to lose a friend--and more-so when that is someone who gifted the world with charm, enthusiasm, honesty, and real friendship. Just having them so far away, in recent years, has been unsettling. But the prospect of never seeing Howard again is a great loss. My sincere condolences to Marie-José.

I know Howard's many friends feel similarly.

Take care. Jamey

Modified by Joyce at Sun, Dec 01, 2013, 08:17:09

© Copyright 2018
Howard and M-J's beautiful glass beads
Re: Sad news announced this morning, -- Joyce Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: paula Post Reply
12/01/2013, 14:31:46

How very sad I was to read Jamey's message about Howard.
I posted these photos last year on a thread about amber, though these beads are made of glass. Howard and Marie-Jose moved to France just after I got addicted to beads and had joined the Bead Society of Greater Washington. Of all the beads I've ever collected since then, these are my all time favorites. I had just returned from Tunisia and traded scented beads that I had watched being made for these small glass beauties. I bought the larger "amber" beads from the Oppers at the same time. I still remember holding the smaller ones in my hand and Howard pointing out with great pride which of the individual beads he had made and which were M-J's. I remember also that Howard always wore a choker of rare Kiffa beads of which I knew nothing until reading M-J's monograph. I will eventually de-accession my collection of Venetians and all the rest, but these beads will go to my granddaughter. I strung a few of them with two beads that Danny Lopacki drilled and polished for me using my rough amber
I'm so glad to have had a chance to meet the Oppers and wish to send Marie-Jose my condolences. Paula

1_OpperLopaki.JPG (145.4 KB)  

Related link: http://beadcollector.net/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi?fvp=/openforum/&cmd=get&cG=8393030363&zu=3838383031&v=2&gV=0&p=

© Copyright 2018
BCN Healing Necklace on BSGB's Journal cover
Posted by: Russ Nobbs Post Reply
11/30/2013, 20:02:56

I was pleased to receive the latest issue of the Bead Society of Great Britain's Journal and find my necklace on the cover.
This is the wonderful necklace Joyce strung from the beads many BCN members contributed. These beads and the sentiments behind them helped Dee and I as I overcame cancer this year. My stem cell transplant was 43 days ago in Portland. We are home, sleeping in our own bed, cooking in our own kitchen and I'm back at Rings & Things working part time with the African and Indonesian beads I love.
The beads and necklace made a difference. I appreciate all your support.

By the way, our "black friday" discount sale has been very successful with African goods. We are wiped out of a number of beads I bought years ago. Older price plus discount made them too good to pass up. I'm digging through my stash looking for strands and art to add to the mix.

BSGBC_002.jpg (123.6 KB)  BSGBC_004.jpg (137.1 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
We are honored!
Re: BCN Healing Necklace on BSGB's Journal cover -- Russ Nobbs Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
12/01/2013, 08:12:33

Gratitude and love to all!

The Russ Medicine Necklace is a wonderful symbol of positive healing power, a "community necklace".

I am so very glad you're doing great, Russ, and getting back to the work you love!

The Bead Society of Great Britain does a wonderful quarterly journal; I urge everyone to join. The current issue also has a nice presentation by Stefany on Venetian fancy tabular beads, a sequel article by Jurgen Busch on Kiffa beads, and an article about the pearls exhibit at the Victoria and Albert Museum through Jan. 19, 2014.

Time after time, the BSGB journal has something for everyone, which is stellar, especially when one remembers that it is a volunteer effort!

1_Newsletter_collage.jpg (13.9 KB)  

Related link: http://www.beadsociety.org.uk/index.htm
Modified by Joyce at Sun, Dec 01, 2013, 08:13:54

© Copyright 2018
Reporting in on my Santa Fe trip
08/14/2013, 13:56:11

Just got back from Santa Fe - a very nice treasure-hunting adventure and my first visit there. My main destinations were the two Whitehawk shows - Antique Ethnographic Art and Antique Indian, plus the The Santa Fe Show, the Traveler's Market, and a smattering of antique stores. I also visited the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, and took a guided nature walk at the Hyde Memorial State Park. There were not a lot of antique Venetian or other trade beads to chose from, but I had fun seeing the area, walking the downtown boutiques, and checking out two of the outdoor flea markets with Junona and her husband Bruce, who happened to be visiting Santa Fe at the same time I was. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to meet Sarah, who was in town very briefly and had her time booked solid.

I could not take pictures at the shows, but took shots of various beads and exhibits at the Traveler's Market. I also took pictures of wild flowers at the park. Many of the flowers are tiny, and reminded me of taking photos of beads, so I've included a few of the flowers along side some of the beads I purchased on my trip.

Hope you enjoy the travelogue!

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa Bail and Moroccan crocheted beads
Re: Reporting in on my Santa Fe trip -- Rosanna Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
08/14/2013, 14:13:32

A few other interesting items at Earl's booth-

A beautifully done gold bail for a kiffa bead, and some crocheted beads, a "fair trade" item made in Morocco by women as a craft business. These beads are available by the packet of mixed designs and I bought two packets. The beads pictured were strung by Earl as an example to show them off. Very pretty!

KiffaBail.jpg (28.0 KB)  MoroccanCrochet.jpg (94.4 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Is this possibly a kiffa bead?
Posted by: Hendrik Post Reply
06/02/2013, 02:32:35

This puzzles me for a while now. Size is: 16mm long, 10mm wide and 8mm thick. It came from Mali some ten years ago. The damaged part of the bead reveals the inside that has a brown color and looks like clay(in real life, not in the picture) to me.

Thanks for all info,
Hendrik

Kiffa001bcopy.jpg (132.1 KB)  Kiffa001icopy.jpg (138.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
More views
Re: Is this possibly a kiffa bead? -- Hendrik Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: Hendrik Post Reply
06/02/2013, 02:51:34

Now the bead looks like a core covered with murrinis.

Kiffa001y_copy.jpg (133.5 KB)  Kiffa001z_copy.jpg (135.0 KB)  

Modified by Hendrik at Sun, Jun 02, 2013, 02:54:31

© Copyright 2018
Mosaic Glass Eye type beads...
Posted by: mosquitobay Post Reply
05/25/2013, 08:56:48

Hello to all, I was assembling these pictures for a future purpose and thought they would make a nice weekend show & tell.

These first four beads are most likely from Fustat bead works (ancient Cairo), circa 900 to 1100 AD more or less. The first three beads are 18 mm in diameter and the last one is 23 mm.

Happy collecting,

Jan Skipper, Mosquitobay

eye-combo-1.jpg (99.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
always a treat!!!
Re: Mosaic Glass Eye type beads... -- mosquitobay Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
05/25/2013, 09:51:55

Jan, you know how to bait someone into posting, I have always loved these types, here are a few from my collection, some related, some perhaps not.....they all have some relevance to Kiffa design

mosaic.jpg (138.7 KB)  dhar.jpg (148.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa new or old ?
Posted by: Mininga Post Reply
05/21/2013, 00:32:08

Bonjour,

A simple question about this bead that needs your expertise ... new or old kiffa bead ?

Thank you for your help.

Mininga

kiffa-1-mininga.jpg (48.0 KB)  kiffa-2-mininga.jpg (39.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
How do you know? What are the identification points?
Re: Re: Kiffa new or old ? -- beadstore.com Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
05/21/2013, 08:48:14

© Copyright 2018
Aesthetically, there is just no comparison.
Re: How do you know? What are the identification points? -- beadiste Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
05/21/2013, 16:59:40

Here's a small selection of the Picard's kiffa. And scroll down at the tasart link.

1_picardkiffa.jpg (125.6 KB)  

Related link: http://www.tasart.com/Kiffa_Beads.html

© Copyright 2018
BCN fundraiser news 5/5: 8 more days and 4 more Seymour blind picks available
05/05/2013, 07:26:18

The images are still on the home page, but we did take off the instant PayPal button. Please post here if you'd like me to send you our PayPal eddress for a donation for a blind pick, and/or a BCN dzi bead. Many thanks to all! Currently there are 2 donors tied for the Jazz bead which goes to the winner on May 12. My bedtime May 11 will be the close of the blind pick opportunity, and the winner of the Jazz bead will be announced the morning of Mother's Day, May 12.

Here are the blind pick beads before Art wrapped them up.

1_artbeadsmix.jpg (101.1 KB)  

Related link: http://beadcollector.net/bcnfund1.html
Modified by Joyce at Sun, May 05, 2013, 07:27:10

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa Beads to Put on the Trade Pages to Donate to BCN
Re: BCN fundraiser news 5/5: 8 more days and 4 more Seymour blind picks available -- Joyce Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: Carole Post Reply
05/08/2013, 19:32:23

I wanted to offer these beads for sell for BCN. Joyce said to put them on the trade pages. I tried and couldn't successfully navigate the site. Thought I entered all the information correctly. There are few bead trades on the site, perhaps there is something I am missing. Anyhow, these beads will be available with J/D help soon, If I have overpriced them, I hope Tzarart (my nickname for said sweetie!) will let me know. If they are underpriced, it doesn't matter, Jake generously gave them when we exchanged beads fast and furious several years ago- he got a couple of his pemarakas for me. Donate for an amazing strand or one historical bead! As Carole Morris says_Cheers!

kiffa.JPG (101.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Documenting the Naomi Lindstrom Collection
Posted by: Frederick Post Reply
03/21/2013, 02:10:10

If you were a beautiful, blue eyed, natural blonde looking for a job in the 1950's, what would you do? Would you choose work which would enable you to circle the globe several times each year? Would you spend your free time shopping for beads? One bright flight attendant working for Pan Am Airlines did just that. Naomi Lindstrom is her name.

Last night Jamey Allen present this world class collection. And after thirty something years, he continues to curate and design for her.

I asked Naomi if she was selling. She says "No, but I am interested in buying more"!

Naomi is shown on the left with her sister. And here are a few images from "the tip of the iceberg."

1._Naomi_&_Sister.jpg (97.4 KB)  2.Jamey.jpg (117.6 KB)  
Frederick

Modified by Frederick at Thu, Mar 21, 2013, 19:56:18

© Copyright 2018
Thanks much!!! but one more question...
Re: Re: Sorry, this is the best I could accomplish last night. -- Frederick Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: tofsla Post Reply
03/21/2013, 02:58:36

You mentioned "She says "No, but I am interested in buying more"!

Does she feel sticker shock? For me its becoming mentally not possible to buy beads in last 5 or so years, as i can't make myself pay 10-20 times more for something i buy not so long ago, for so much less...

Thanks for reply

© Copyright 2018
Affordable beauty
Re: Thanks much!!! but one more question... -- tofsla Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: will Post Reply
03/21/2013, 09:05:24

One of the things I love about beads is that there are millions of very beautiful examples that just about anyone can afford. Sure, at any given time there are small segments of the market where fashion rules. Zi is one of them right now, driven - in part, at least - by the Chinese plutocracy's mystification of everything it is in the process of wiping out in Tibet. But prices don't always keep on increasing. With zi perhaps they will, at least for as long as it is still thought to be possible to distinguish fakes from authentic beads, but the history of art markets is full of bubbles that have collapsed.

For the most part, bead prices seem to have remained on average quite stable. If you compare the prices that Robert Liu gives in his book Collectible Beads there's generally not a whole lot of difference between then and now. And perhaps, looking at the demographics of the market, prices may actually drop in the next ten or fifteen years.

All taste is a mix of socially informed convention and deeply personal drives. The two bead types that personally I find the most beautiful, Phoenicians and Kiffa, still offer examples that I can buy for the price of a good, or sometimes a mediocre, dinner. It amazes me that that is the case, because these beads, which are quite rare and fragile, give me pleasure for much longer.

Everybody on this forum has different tastes. I would never even have discovered Phoenicians or Kiffa without Thomas and Gabriel, and I'm grateful to them for getting me hooked. But if there's one collector here who inspires me it's Finfan, who lives - he tells us - on a quite limited budget and still manages every year to buy a lot of beautiful and interesting beads.

Cheers,

Will

Phoenician348fs.jpg (52.5 KB)  Kiffa321s.jpg (41.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Is it play time?
03/03/2013, 07:17:08

Hello All;

A few weeks ago we had a break in the weather. The temperature rose above freezing, the wind died down. So I took a box of beads outside and took five photographs of mixed Venetian beads from the African trade. These bead are from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.

Enjoy
Sincerely
Thomas Mercer

1_DSC03160.jpg (142.1 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Huhhh... Wow Thomas, I did not know that... Can you please inform me more? Thanks!
Re: second row from the inside -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
03/09/2013, 14:22:37

© Copyright 2018
comparison for study
Re: Huhhh... Wow Thomas, I did not know that... Can you please inform me more? Thanks! -- jake@nomaddesign Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
03/09/2013, 16:16:51

the 5 beads on the left side are Venetian and the 4 beads on the right are Morfia, I will let the picture do the explaining.....having studied Kiffa beads for several decades now and finding the similarities between them and many of the ancient Islamic types (Morfia being a biggie) I have developed an eye for seeing the similarities that may go unnoticed by someone not quite as anal as myself, I hope you see what I see :)

morfia-venetian.jpg (156.9 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Truly "Radioactive" Beads?
Posted by: buriedinbeads Post Reply
02/11/2013, 13:19:04

The word "radioactive" in another post got me wondering, how often are beads radioactive? Like from containing a naturally radioactive mineral. I don't mean glowing under UV/blacklight, but detectable on a "Geiger counter".

Tedd

© Copyright 2018
It's all over the place
Re: Truly "Radioactive" Beads? -- buriedinbeads Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/11/2013, 13:39:09

Uranium used to color glass will cause it to glow green under a UV light, and will also set off a geiger counter and (according to the info from Virginia Blakelock at Beadcats in the link) fog the film on a radiation detection badge. The radiation level is supposedly low-energy alpha particles, lacking the poop to pass through paper or the layer of dead cells covering our skin.

It's been in use for at least a hundred years, especially in Czech pressed glass beads - some of the old Kiffa beads have uranium glass for their cores.

The term "vaseline glass" is often used for the greenish yellow variety, after the old petroleum jelly color. You can see in the photo attached how the yellow beads appear to glow, even in the low light in which I photographed them. That's because they actually are fluorescing, i.e., emitting light in response to incoming light energy.

GreenMelons002A.jpg (43.0 KB)  Vaseline_001small.jpg (43.9 KB)  

Related link: http://www.beadcats.com/radhaz.htm
Modified by beadiste at Mon, Feb 11, 2013, 14:42:39

© Copyright 2018
Taste of Tucson
02/06/2013, 19:47:04

Just arrived home and have only a few pics from the first two days of bead hunting to share.

First is a strand of brick red fancies from The Bead Shop in Laguna Beach, CA, where I stopped on my way to Tucson. Peggy Smith has a nice selection of Venetian trade beads, Kiffa, conus shell, and other collectible antiques. I have some pics of her store which I will post later.

Second is a "find" - a nice necklace with seven rare Venetian fancy beads from the African trade. I have one of these beads, in beat-up condition, so I was thrilled to find seven in very good to excellent shape on a newly composed necklace. Found at a booth in the Gem Mall Show in Tucson.

BrickRedFancies.jpg (50.5 KB)  SevenFancies.jpg (115.2 KB)  

Modified by Rosanna at Wed, Feb 06, 2013, 19:48:47

© Copyright 2018
The Bead Shop in Laguna Beach
Re: Taste of Tucson -- Rosanna Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/07/2013, 08:18:42

Some pics of the The Bead Shop in Laguna Beach, CA. I think the owners are looking for a buyer for the store so they can retire - maybe your bead dream come true?

There was a good selection of trade beads and other interesting items, in strand and singles. Worth checking out if you are in the LA area!

These pictures are just a small sampling of the merchandise.

LagunaBeadStore.jpg (60.8 KB)  LagunaTradeBeads.jpg (106.5 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
The Bead Shop in Laguna Beach - more pics
Re: The Bead Shop in Laguna Beach -- Rosanna Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/07/2013, 08:19:55

LagunaKiffa4.jpg (87.4 KB)  LagunaTradeBeads2.jpg (108.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Tucson next week.....plus
01/22/2013, 09:18:09

we have been super busy getting ready for Tucson, not much time for photos as well, plus this issue of Ornament magazine, Jan 2013 will have a cover with beads from the Kiffa and related collection, shot by my brother Alex and myself, inside is an article about kiffa by J Busch also more Kiffa pictures, one of them seen in this post......Hope to see you all there!!!!

Kiffa-related.jpg (162.4 KB)  

Related link: http://www.tasart.com/Shows.html

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa are still my favorites!
Re: Tucson next week.....plus -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/22/2013, 15:02:32

When you think of the labor and skill involved and the fact that nobody can reproduce them as well or as beautiful, they still evoke strong emotions when I see them

1_singles.jpg (160.0 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Just got my copy of the new Ornament
Re: Tucson next week.....plus -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/26/2013, 13:24:04

Beads on cover!

ornament-mag.jpg (143.0 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: Just got my copy of the new Ornament
Re: Just got my copy of the new Ornament -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/26/2013, 13:29:14

the picture they used on the cover, a side by side view of both Mauritanian Powder glass Kiffa beads and ancient Islamic pre-coursers.....my example of the "Chicken and the Egg"

cover-crop-idea.jpg (161.1 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
You saw it here first.....
Re: Just got my copy of the new Ornament -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/26/2013, 20:53:20

Lovely beads and cover, Thomas!
Yes, the "fall from grace" is an interesting choice. The beads themselves have not fallen from grace at all - they become more desirable each passing year. It's unfortunate that the skill was not passed down - the new versions clearly show this loss.

© Copyright 2018
a VAST Kiffa thread from 2006...
Re: You saw it here first..... -- Joyce Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/26/2013, 22:32:22

Dazzling! Here are two more Thomas images. Many fine Kiffa!

1_blk-rnd-cyl-kiffa1.jpg (119.9 KB)  1_kiffa-vas-spring.jpg (118.5 KB)  

Related link: a VAST Kiffa thread from 2006...

© Copyright 2018
Bead info please
11/13/2012, 18:35:15

I came across this bead in a box of mixed ancient beads that I have had for a few years that I never really look at.
I thought it was really nice and wanted to know if anyone had any information on it.
Size is 18x15mm
Thanks
Wayne

63_1.jpg (138.8 KB)  58_2.jpg (137.5 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Matt is correct
Re: Bead info please -- beadweyr Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
11/13/2012, 20:46:00

appears to be powder glass, here are Kiffa varieties that are similar, the colors are not quite the same but look at the green in the bottom left of the picture.....whatever your bead turns out to be, it was meant to imitate the Morfia type of ancient bead, just my humble opinion

© Copyright 2018
Help with ID - imitation Venetians, etc - Kiffa? Mauritania?
11/02/2012, 13:19:27

Found in a thrift store, so I have no background info. I really like the black, imitation "Venetian" beads, they even used a speckled, multi-colored glass slurry to give the banding on the black beads the look of aventurine without any sparkles. The translucent blue glass beads have the color of bottle glass, which makes me wonder if these could be Kiffa? There are also various Czech beads and some turquoise stone beads in the mix. Can I get some opinions on origin and age? Looking forward to hearing your opinions and thanks in advance for your help.

-Melissa

006_(248x300).jpg (138.4 KB)  008_(300x260).jpg (151.4 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
More photos - Re: Help with ID - imitation Venetians, etc - Kiffa? Mauritania?
Re: Help with ID - imitation Venetians, etc - Kiffa? Mauritania? -- Mel H Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
11/02/2012, 13:20:45

here are some more photos

010_(300x225).jpg (146.1 KB)  012_(300x212).jpg (142.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
More photos #2 - Re: Help with ID - imitation Venetians, etc - Kiffa? Mauritania?
Re: Help with ID - imitation Venetians, etc - Kiffa? Mauritania? -- Mel H Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
11/02/2012, 13:23:12

last set

014_(300x220).jpg (151.9 KB)  004_(174x300).jpg (131.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Testing, to see if it doubles posts. I'm not buying the Sun Spots idea.......
10/18/2012, 12:17:53

Most of the post I have made in recent days have popped up double. I'm checking and trying find out why.

1_byzan4plex-1.jpg (101.9 KB)  

Modified by Dog Bone Crazy at Thu, Oct 18, 2012, 19:32:48

© Copyright 2018
Testing
Re: Testing, The first woked, let us see if this one works... -- Dog Bone Crazy Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/19/2012, 08:15:57

3_beadid-1.jpg (115.9 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Testing
Re: Testing -- Dog Bone Crazy Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/19/2012, 08:16:45

1_blkiffa1.jpg (66.9 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Weekend Show & Play
Posted by: nishedha Post Reply
10/07/2012, 01:56:31

This is a good sized street graffito I saw, photographed(1st. pic)and Photoshoped(2nd pic)a little bit.
I deem it great art: see how it was painted exactly on the edge of two meeting walls!
Wouldn't it make a very n*I*c*E pendant-bead?
Now: would any Forumite dare to make it complete (i.e. design the back and sides of it?).

arte_povera.jpg (116.6 KB)  arte_pov.jpg (139.5 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Thank you Fred, you are such a gentleman..... Tibetan Gao, and Purse I collected in India~
Re: Excellent -- Frederick Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/09/2012, 21:02:37

Most of these have already been posted...

Sorry these photos taken on my phone are bad, the lighting is difficult for me....

Both antique, the coral is fantastic, I want to find some antique glass, for the gao window...

Tibetan_Gao.JPG (112.3 KB)  

Modified by jake@nomaddesign at Tue, Oct 09, 2012, 21:15:28

© Copyright 2018
Phenolics...
Re: Thank you Fred, you are such a gentleman..... Tibetan Gao, and Purse I collected in India~ -- jake@nomaddesign Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/09/2012, 21:14:04

Fantastic strand, beautiful patina and wear, I think the double diamond are a reground shape? Carl? Nice repurposed tassel, some Kiffa, I do have more Kiffa to add. I also particularly love the one Bohemian glass with silver. Ethiopia?

Phenolic.JPG ( bytes)  

Modified by jake@nomaddesign at Tue, Oct 09, 2012, 22:35:26

© Copyright 2018
Bead Collector Network needs our help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06/12/2012, 12:03:32

I found out the other day that the server fees for the BCN are once again coming due, this is a site that is solely supported from gifts and/or grants, all of which have dried up to date, now Joyce is faced with a decision: archive and shut down or beg for funds to keep going!
I say this is a valuable tool for any and all bead collectors and we should all support the cause, I think the fees are somewhere around $200 per period? And I am going to list some beads here on the FREE Trades Pages that will be used to help defray costs, I will donate 100% of the sales from what I list,(up to $200), minus shipping.....if you have a wish list of beads or bead items you would like to buy from me for this cause, please let me know and I will try to list it! Thanks for any and all help to keep this site up and running!!! Thomas (TASART)

PS the bead shown is not for sale

17_Untitled-1.jpg (162.1 KB)  

Related link: http://beadcollector.net/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi?fvp=/trades/&cmd=get&cG=836333&zu=383633&v=2&gV=0&p=

© Copyright 2018
d
Re: Bead Collector Network needs our help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
09/08/2012, 17:03:39

e

Modified by TASART at Sat, Sep 08, 2012, 17:04:58

© Copyright 2018
The Picard Trade Bead Museum in Carmel Valley, CA
07/15/2012, 14:00:24

A few bead collectors from Northern California took a trip down to the Picard Museum yesterday. Thanks so much for hosting us, John and Ruth, and to Rosanna, for pulling us all together! Rosanna, Fred, Jaret, Carol, Janet and her husband (apologies, I did not get his name) and myself all had a really great afternoon at Picard Museum. If you love trade beads, it is an IMPORTANT visit to make. There is no place like it, as the Picards have made it their life work to collect and display all imaginable examples of beads from the African trade. I go there again and again, each time I am so glad I did.

Here's the door. Janet's dog is still waiting for her to come out!

1_picardfrontdoor.jpg (143.5 KB)  1_picardbldg.jpg (113.3 KB)  

Related link: picardbeads.com

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa beads and carved shell from Mauretania
Re: The Picard Trade Bead Museum in Carmel Valley, CA -- Joyce Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
07/15/2012, 14:06:47

picardkiffa.jpg (125.6 KB)  picmaureshell.jpg (153.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Some pre-weekend Bead images
06/29/2012, 12:48:34

Random pics of beads for you enjoyment (I hope).....the first set are older Amazonite beads from Mauritania

DSC04287.jpg (156.2 KB)  Untitled-123.jpg (132.4 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
been a while since I posted Kiffa beads
Re: Some pre-weekend Bead images -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
06/29/2012, 12:50:39

DSC04294.jpg (153.8 KB)  1_k2.jpg (162.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
a few more Kiffa beads
Re: been a while since I posted Kiffa beads -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
06/29/2012, 12:51:19

1_k1.jpg (157.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Bead Show Photographs
05/05/2012, 15:02:42

Got to see Rick (Rice) Rotten at the Baskets and Beads opening. Shoul have taken a pix of him in his black chevron necklace. Here's one of Jake's pieces that is in the show. I gave him a couple of beat up carnelians and he quietly built this magnificent!

© Copyright 2018
Unusual kiffa?
Re: Bead Show Photographs -- Carole Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
05/05/2012, 15:47:57

I had the honor of meeting Martha, the curator of the show, and we had several bead play dates. She has a wonderful collection with unusual beads. Her kiffa strand has many wonderful beads. This is one of her kiffa beads in the exhibit. Either Martha can post her necklace or I will try to get a pix of the kiffa exihibit.

© Copyright 2018
Necklace ID Please & Exciting Bead Show
Post Reply Edit Forum
04/12/2012, 17:48:56

I bought this necklace from Kabba a couple years ago and didn't get any information on it. Martha, aka madame martha, who recently signed up on BCN and is the curator at the Global Museum in Fort Collins, Colorado, might be interested in showing it in the upcoming Beads and Basket exhibit. Beadbox (Matt Ridely), who I want renamed Bead Beagle, got together with her a while back, talked beads. I don't think Martha thought she had enough beads but Jake, Matt and I and Rick Rotten, in absentia, descended on poor Martha's assistant, beads in hand and ready for a show. We now have a show in May! We were also given the services of a Tasart quality photographer (hey-this guy photographs snowflakes!) to photograph our beads! I am in bead heaven. I saw some of our beads on a large flat screen tv and lost my breath. Martha has a killer Kiffa strand with a lot of unusual beads. She has a great collection and I am glad Matt found her to make the us three Colorado bead amigos a tidy four! I want to post some beads that should be verified for the show. I can't wait to post my very small seal bead collection, that Mike so expertly photographed. I have wanted to post them since Jamey posted his primer. I know one to be fake but question three others. All the photographs are breathtaking and I can't wait to post! More to come. BTW, does anyone recognize this necklace?

© Copyright 2018
Tucson Treasures - very long Venetian strand
Posted by: waneeho Post Reply
02/22/2012, 22:06:39

Here is a 50 inch long strand of Venetians from Degumay. For me as a first timer at Tucson, this strand was like a dream. First photo is the entire strand in all its beauty. The second photo shows some of my favorites from the strand, including the long (20mm) yellow with the strange white/black eyes - which I think are murrine but the black portion has indistinct edges, almost like powder glass or really rough composite construction. Any thoughts? More beads in following posts.
Paul

2414-MixedTrades_LongDegumayWeb.jpg (140.9 KB)  2414-MixedTrades-CloseupDegWeb.jpg (155.5 KB)  

Modified by waneeho at Wed, Feb 22, 2012, 22:33:52

© Copyright 2018
Strange Yellow barrel with white/black eyes
Re: Tucson Treasures - very long Venetian strand -- waneeho Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/23/2012, 22:14:13

Hi Paul,
This bead is shown in two sizes on p. 242 of Middle Eastern and Venetian Glass Beads, by A. Panini. The legend says, " Large barrel-shaped lamp beads with longitudinal linear elements make up this degraded strand. They are vaguely reminiscent of the prestigious Middle Eastern mourfia aynifaine, from which Venetian glassmakers certainly took inspiration to satisfy the precise demands of the African market". Panini defines mourfia aynifaine as 10th to 15th century mosaic beads with eye decorations.

PS KILLER STRAND PAUL!!!!

Modified by Rosanna at Thu, Feb 23, 2012, 22:16:03

© Copyright 2018
Variations by different cultures
Re: Strange Yellow barrel with white/black eyes -- Rosanna Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/26/2012, 13:45:34

Here are a few side by side comparisons, they have always reminded me of the Morfia beads, the Kiffa copy the Morfia as do the Venetians, In my humble opinion

DSC01280.jpg (135.8 KB)  DSC01282.jpg (163.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Repaired kiffa front and back
Post Reply Edit Forum
02/20/2012, 11:43:50

Came across this one today I thought it was kinda cool. I love Repaired beads.
Wayne

3_f1.jpg (157.3 KB)  4_b1.jpg (150.4 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
More info on these kiffa-inspired beads?
Posted by: Preethi Post Reply
02/19/2012, 10:54:32

I purchased these beads in Accra recently. Does anyone on this forum know more about these? Would love some information on where they may have been produced and when.

The photos show the top and bottom views of the bead. Each bead is about an inch long or a bit more, but I can get back tomorrow with exact measurements if needed. Thank you!

Kiffa_inspired_1.JPG (149.2 KB)  Kiffa_inspired_2.JPG (146.4 KB)  

Modified by Preethi at Sun, Feb 19, 2012, 10:58:27

© Copyright 2018
New Indonesian lampwork pseudo-kiffa
Re: More info on these kiffa-inspired beads? -- Preethi Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/19/2012, 13:54:54

Here are the strands that Hands of the Hills had last year at the Grant Inn show. I didn't see any this year with HoH. Thomas probably has examples from 3 different batches.

1_hohindokiffa.jpg (152.0 KB)  

Modified by Joyce at Sun, Feb 19, 2012, 14:03:12

© Copyright 2018
Not tired of Tucson yet?
02/10/2012, 13:28:01

Then have a look at some more pictures.
First, a panoramic shot of Degumay's booth at the African Art Village.
Second, a big busted up chrevron from him.

t62.jpg (29.5 KB)  t68.jpg (47.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: little blue in second picture looks like it might be a kiffa type?? Proto type
Re: little blue in second picture looks like it might be a kiffa type?? -- Stefany Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/11/2012, 04:50:36

© Copyright 2018
Kiffa Proto type examples
Re: Re: little blue in second picture looks like it might be a kiffa type?? Proto type -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/11/2012, 06:03:24

Here are several variations of beads that appear to imitate, of course the old saying, "what came first? The chicken or the egg?" applies here, I assume the blue drawn beads are of an earlier time frame and the Kiffa makers copied the designs

PROTO-1.jpg (116.6 KB)  blu2.jpg (101.9 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
I did tell you there were more...
Post Reply Edit Forum
Posted by: beadster Post Reply
01/18/2012, 23:20:13

...and, still there are more. But, they are all single Kiffa's and of the more recently made variety.

IMG_20120119_011958-1.jpg (110.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
My souvenir from the Bead museum in Washington DC...
Post Reply Edit Forum
01/17/2012, 22:09:57

...while it's not a bead, I thought some may enjoy. Thanks to the Tuareg person that created it. It's a reminder of the time I spent there admiring so many beautiful beads...that helps to qualify this posting...yes? I think I was most intrigued by the tiniest agate beads and the big fat Kiffa's. The triangular Kiffa's there did seem to be quite a bit more robust than others I have seen.

IMG_20120118_005726-1.jpg (28.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
This little Kiffa...
Post Reply Edit Forum
01/16/2012, 22:52:15

...which came with a strand of more recently made Kiffa's had been broken, it was the only one. As I had just completed my one and only stained glass window, some of you may have seen it, I thought of how I could salvage the bead. I used the grinder to grind it down around the last complete stripe, then topped it with a jump ring and wrapped it with the copper foil that you wrap around the glass pieces, and then covered the foil with the soldering material. I know it's crude, but it deserved to be saved. And had Thomas been my neighbor I 'd have enlisted his help and asked if we could do it in silver.

IMG_20120117_012547-1.jpg (24.7 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
What I know...
Post Reply Edit Forum
01/15/2012, 13:01:49

...here are a sampling of Kiffa's. Two are from Claire(Mountainamma), one is from David across the pond(I'm sure those in the know know to whom I am referring, one is from Russ Nobbs(well Rings&Things), two are from Africa Direct, and one is from Jan Skipper. And, when I spoke on the phone with someone from Rings&Things I asked if I was getting an antique Kiffa...I was told yes. Well, it is not an antique in comparison to the one from Africa Direct and the one from across the pond. I do know the difference.

Sorry to be redundant for those that have heard this...I have visited the Bead museum in Glendale Arizona and the Bead museum in Washington DC. I have seen ancient beads at a Museum in St. Petersburg and in NYC at the Met. I have perused many a bead site on-line and pretty much know where to obtain a lot of different beads.

I say this for those that tell me to google things and to go and get experience. I may not have your experience....what I have is mine. And, once again, I buy something because I love it. It's the bottom line and the top priority. And, I love all of these Kiffa's...and I have many more.

IMG_20120115_154315-1.jpg (85.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Art's BEADS!!!
Posted by: lopacki Post Reply
01/09/2012, 12:12:40

After reading Art's recent post about his culls, I thought it would be nice if everyone that has a special Art bead or more that they would like to share ............ Lets start a thread.

Suzi and I have an incredible collection of Art's wonderful beads that we love sharing with people when we have guests that have never seen his work, we always get plenty of oohs and awes and the people leave with a true appreciation of Art’s special talents.

If you have an Art bead or beads to share please post it. The bead I am posting is one of my favorites and came to us the first time I met Art, after many hours of talking and looking into the wee hours of the morning Art got out “Pandora’s Box” which had mostly very large beads, this bead was so wonderful I just had to have it.

This bead measures 67 X 29.5 mm 2.64X1.16 inch

All my best ............... Danny

great.jpg (70.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Good idea, Danny...
Re: Art's BEADS!!! -- lopacki Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: will Post Reply
01/09/2012, 18:58:18

Actually, I collect very few beads other than the ancient Asians that I think I need for my research into early trade patterns in Southeast Asia. The only exceptions are some kiffas - thanks to TASART who got me hooked - and the occasional Art Seymour creation. Here's my personal favourite - one of his signed jazz beads (33.5 mm, 18 points, 8 layers). Every time I look at it, I marvel at how perfect it seems to be, and at the same time how full of fun.

Thanks, Art!

Will

Art122b.JPG (17.5 KB)  Art122c.JPG (14.0 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
And, does it get any better than this...
Posted by: Beadster Post Reply
01/07/2012, 05:25:58

...does anyone else match their beads with their clothing? May we see some of your better matches? Well, aren't they Krobo beads? See, still a learning post.

IMG_20120107_082012-1.jpg (35.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
cobalt blue colorant
Re: Just a wild thought... -- Beadster Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: birdi Post Reply
01/09/2012, 05:48:27

Cobalt carbonate and cobalt oxide are earth minerals used to create blue colors in glass and ceramic. Cobalt is a very stable mineral, a strong colorant, and consistently remains blue in differing environments of temperature and atmosphere during melting processes. Any cobalt blue glass object that is ground up into powder will be blue when the powder is packed and fused. There are many sources of blue glass. It is far more likely your little beads were formerly jars and bottles.

© Copyright 2018
Re: cobalt blue colorant
Re: cobalt blue colorant -- birdi Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/09/2012, 06:22:41

Did the beadmakers that made the glass cores for Kiffas ony use jars and bottles? And, don't beadmakers in Africa even stick others beads such as greenhearts into molds for other beads such as the Akosos? I believe they even cook beads in Africa...no? So, I wonder your reasoning for saying it is "far more likely" my "little beads were formerly jars and bottles." Do the words "far more likely" always apply in a place where a bead is more valued if the core is showing such as with a bodom or where a bead such as a morfia is broken into pieces and distributed among family members? And, it's not that I mean to be argumentative...not that one shouldn't have a good spirited argument about one's passions...but, just to say is it really so hard to fathom someone crushing up a strand of beads that perhaps they do not find desirable. Funny, I was wondering how many people were aghast as I did wirework around my ancient eye bead shown in the "have you ever" thread. It may not have been the smartest thing to do..and I'm not really happy with that particular necklace. And, I know that in redoing it, should I cut the wire...I should proceed very cautiously.

1_IMG_20120109_071846-1.jpg (13.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
I was at this little cafe in Mauretania...
01/06/2012, 05:17:44

...and I asked for the special with a double side of Nueva Cadiz and a Coconut Heishi chaser.

IMG_20120106_075110.jpg (111.5 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Nice floral design inside bottom triangle design on the Kiffa bead
Re: I was at this little cafe in Mauretania... -- Beadster Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/06/2012, 10:32:54

© Copyright 2018
Re: Nice floral design inside bottom triangle design on the Kiffa bead
Re: Nice floral design inside bottom triangle design on the Kiffa bead -- TASART Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/06/2012, 17:37:10

A better view for you Thomas.

IMG_20120106_203132-1.jpg (9704 bytes)  IMG_20120106_203007-1.jpg (8648 bytes)  

© Copyright 2018
Not your typical design element
Re: Re: Nice floral design inside bottom triangle design on the Kiffa bead -- Beadster Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
01/06/2012, 20:39:16

the bead pictured on the right is similar to yours, they are very uncommon in design, nice find

kiffa-flower.jpg (97.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
LA Bead Society Fall Bead Bazaar this weekend.......Kiffas!
Post Reply Edit Forum
Posted by: Art Post Reply
10/19/2011, 15:59:46

The LA Bead Society Bazaar is this weekend! Come on down and see lots of treasure......
I'm coming down with lots of my beads and some old collectible beads I'm parting with .
Hope to see some of you soon,
Art

3_kiffa.jpg (95.7 KB)  sevengreen.jpg (113.8 KB)  

Related link: LA Bead Bazaar site

© Copyright 2018
Anyone up for a Sunday Show & Tell...?
07/17/2011, 09:48:37

Hello All,

I am back home from several weeks of travel. I have been playing catch up with the post on the BCN. My some very exciting photographs of great things.

Here is my much posted scan of my graduated strand of Venetian bicone black fancy eye "king" beads from the early 1900's.

Enjoy

Sincerely
Thomas Mercer
Dog Bone Crazy

3_topofcratepicard-1.jpg (116.2 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Just a short one for me....
Re: Anyone up for a Sunday Show & Tell...? -- Dog Bone Crazy Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: uwe Post Reply
07/17/2011, 11:35:51

Hi Thomas,
some weeks ago I was generously blessed by Joyce first, who sent me a beautiful package with an old Chevron cane (and a huge new Chinese Chev. cane and very nice oval Chinese Millefiori, copies from Venetians...), and two weeks or so later another gift arrived from John and Ruth P., with the large red Venetian Chev. from the same time period.
Looks, as if they have worked together, this friends (and THANKS one more time!), or it was just magic, but what they sent works together at any rate....
I love it...:-)
All the Best
Uwe

IMG_3028x.jpg (116.9 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
5 Layer Red Conterie Rosetta Cane
Re: Just a short one for me.... -- uwe Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
07/17/2011, 15:55:33

From the inside out, it's cobalt blue, opaque red, cobalt blue, white, opaque red. I love the beads made from it - and I think some beads as well as cane may be still available from the Picards.

Uwe does a fantastic job grinding! The two discs are perfect on simple silver hoops.

With the other 2, I recently strung a necklace with the only polychrome Kiffa triangle I own. I put it on heavy black artificial sinew, with a knot on each side of the triangle (but not tightly) to prevent the weight of the other beads from bearing down on the Kiffa triangle. Since Kiffa are of powderglass, and the perforation is very close to the back "wall" of the bead, I want to be as careful with it as possible.

The red rosetta discs by Uwe on this necklace are really special, because he also drilled a little suspension hole just about 4mm away from the outer edge of the beads! I can't figure out how he did it. So, I made a suspension loop for each of these by threading seven 2mm sterling beads through the hole of each bead. Then when I strung the necklace, there are two 2mm sterling beads strung where I placed the suspended rosetta disc, so that they swing freely.

There are bead gifts from 3 people on this tiny necklace. Besides that, beads purchased from at least 4 separate sources. Which is why I don't get in a big hurry with these projects...no matter how small.

Thanks again, Uwe, for these fabulous little labor-intensive treasures!
The red disc earrings were worn to see Foghat and Blue Oyster Cult last month!

Mr. DBC, great to hear from you and thank you for Sunday S & T. Did you make it to the Friendship rendezvous last month? I imagine Art and Basket Bob were there, possibly Nicole, Bully and a few other African dealers? I'd love to see images if anyone has any.

1_DSC05013.jpg (105.7 KB)  

Modified by Joyce at Sun, Jul 17, 2011, 16:04:51

© Copyright 2018
What are these?
Posted by: tcar8502 Post Reply
03/22/2011, 08:08:18

Could someone please identify these beads for me!
your contribution is appreciated.

Regards

tcar

IMG_4634.JPG (145.9 KB)  IMG_4688.JPG (121.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
These are modern Indonesian copies of various types of beads
Re: What are these? -- tcar8502 Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
03/22/2011, 09:15:45

here are a few examples that are Indonesian attempting to copy the Kiffa beads of Mauritania

Related link: http://beadcollector.net/openforum/posts/50908.html

© Copyright 2018
Bead ID please ... sorry, small photo.
Posted by: plaza Post Reply
02/25/2011, 13:13:55

© Copyright 2018
some related examples from Thomas
Re: Bead ID please ... sorry, small photo. -- plaza Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/27/2011, 13:57:42

some of my favorite bead varieties, Kiffa pre-coursers of course!

sunburst1.jpg (130.4 KB)  sunburst.jpg (159.5 KB)  

Modified by TASART at Sun, Feb 27, 2011, 13:58:08

© Copyright 2018
Tucson 2011...G&LW Grant Inn (Still aka Rodeway)
02/05/2011, 13:29:56

I never left this venue for the 5 days I spent in Tucson. It was a great time as always helping out as well as socializing with bcn forumites as well as some of the kindest and most interesting vendors and collectors around!

Who are these guys and why are they smiling? It's Burrito Bob and Basket Bob, of course! They're smiling because 1) It's January 29th, the first day of the Rodeway show and 2) They both hail from back east, where it's snowed in and Tucson is almost 80 degrees that day!

Basket Bob always has interesting collectibles in his pockets...Here's one of his earliest scores of the show, something I'd call a "Super 8 Bodom". I didn't measure it but can assure you it's a nice hefty size!

bbobx2.jpg (127.4 KB)  bbsuper8.jpg (136.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Hands of the Hills
Re: Tucson 2011...G&LW Grant Inn (Still aka Rodeway) -- Joyce Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/05/2011, 15:38:51

Bringing you fine Thai silver and Indonesian glass beads! You'll find fancies, feathers, new lampworked "Pseudo-Kiffa" among others. Lovely selection, reasonable prices!

hohindo.jpg (162.2 KB)  hohindokiffa.jpg (152.0 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Omar's Aqua Venetian Whitehearts and New Kiffa
Re: Tucson 2011...G&LW Grant Inn (Still aka Rodeway) -- Joyce Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
02/05/2011, 16:01:42

These are genuine aqua Venetian whitehearts and new Kiffa made in Mauritania.

omarblwhthrt.jpg (107.3 KB)  omarnewkiffa.jpg (137.5 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Need Help in Identifying These Beads
Posted by: jcharles37 Post Reply
10/08/2010, 16:25:30

Hi all,
I have recently started collecting beads and I am also new to this forum.I recently acquired some beads which I will neeed your help in identifying.

100_0701.jpg (93.5 KB)  100_0384.jpg (93.8 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: Need Help in Identifying These Beads
Re: Need Help in Identifying These Beads -- jcharles37 Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/09/2010, 10:59:44

Thank you Joyce very much for your help, it is highly appreciated,that was a warm welcome to the Forum!Thank you Logan for your help as well.I will be doing more reserach on the site later on .
I have got two other beads that I will like identifying,are the kiffa beads original in your opinion?I will look foorward to your reply and the reply of others.

Kind regards,

John

100_0641_reduced.jpg (82.8 KB)  reduced_size_Akoso_bead.jpg (76.6 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Re: Re: Need Help in Identifying These Beads
Re: Re: Need Help in Identifying These Beads -- jcharles37 Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
10/09/2010, 11:03:26

Are these Kiffa beads originals?

kiffa_beads_to_reduced.jpg (58.3 KB)  

© Copyright 2018
Kiffas for your comparison
Re: Re: Re: Need Help in Identifying These Beads -- jcharles37 Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: globalbeads Post Reply
10/09/2010, 21:24:23

kiffa-grp.gif (164.3 KB)  
Kathleen, Global Beads, Inc

© Copyright 2018