Post Message Search Overview RegisterLoginAdmin
Levin "Traded for Slaves" card long faceted glass beads
Post Reply Edit View All Forum
Posted by: beadiste Post Reply
11/10/2020, 11:20:45

Sorting through my "Russian" beads, I found various items that closely match the dark blue beads on the card.

Reviewing the Picards' book on "Russian" beads, some of these beads appear to be cane drawn, others are molded and then hand cut to produce 50, 55, or 60 facets.

Inspecting some of the more bicone-shaped beads under a loupe, the surface fissures in the glass indicating molding are parallel to the length of the bead - i.e., as if the mold were closed like a coffin lid.

The grinding removed all traces of mold seams, but I wondered exactly how the holes were produced? Isn't getting the mold pin out of molten glass a tricky proposition? Pic attached showing the difference between the holes on a presumably molded beads and a cane drawn bead. [the large cobalt bead also appears to have had a further later grinding, presumably to remove wear chips around the holes)

Anyone have knowledge of or care to hazard a guess as to the type of mold tong that was used?

SAM_0576_(2)BCN.jpg (150.0 KB)  SAM_0575_(2)BCN.jpg (124.4 KB)  

Copyright 2021
All rights reserved by Bead Collector Network and its users
More examples of molded? beads
Re: Levin "Traded for Slaves" card long faceted glass beads -- beadiste Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
11/10/2020, 11:39:09

The blue beads vary around 30-32x12-15mm.
The dark sapphire beads have large holes, could be cane-drawn?
The inky cobalt beads have small holes, narrow flattened ends, could be molded?

The amber glass beads vary around 30-31x12-23mm, have small holes and narrow flattened ends, and seem to match closely those in Strand 6, page 16 of the Picards' book on "Russian" beads, described thus:

"11- and 12-sided with a total ot 55 or 60 facets; translucent light amber.These beads were molded, not drawn."

Karlis Karklin's book indicates the measurement of the sort of bicone dark cbalt bead on the Levin card to be 27.3x12.8mm.

SAM_0581BCN.jpg (144.8 KB)  SAM_0584BCN.jpg (144.5 KB)  

Modified by beadiste at Tue, Nov 10, 2020, 11:41:04

Copyright 2021
Re: Long Faceted Glass Beads
Re: Levin "Traded for Slaves" card long faceted glass beads -- beadiste Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: Beadman Post Reply
11/13/2020, 02:31:42

Hello Chris,

I am not following all of your questions, in part because of similies that don't mean anything to me. (such as "closed like a coffin lid"). Did you mean having a longitudinal seam? Also the reference to "fissures."

Since the times that the two important publications related to "Russian" beads were published, it has been my opinion that it was a mistake to imply that the much longer and more-highly-faceted Bohemian beads are "Russian" beads. I think this was very fuzzy thinking. Their relationships are clear, but "Russian" beads are particular beads, with a specific history or story. The popular name is questionable enough, without adding other beads to the mix.

Because I have a well-rounded perception of Central European bead molding, I may not "get it" that others can be confused. Having seen these processes in-person at Jablonec, and having had my expectations met, this manufacture is not confusing to me.

When molded beads are made, the glass is malleable, but not in an actual liquid state. It is firm enough to be stabbed without disturbing the exterior (that is being held my the mold itself). The perforator, however, does affect the internal glass—pushing it (from the end of entry) to the opposite end. This can often be seen in broken beads.

Have you actually seen a bead tong? I have one, thanks to Luigi Cattelan, who gave it to me. Glass does not stick to iron unless the iron is very hot.

Jamey

Copyright 2021
Checked Beads of Gablonz
Re: Re: Long Faceted Glass Beads -- Beadman Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
11/13/2020, 15:52:38

. . . and it pretty much answered my question as to how these beads might have been press molded. Lots of pictures and diagrams of tongs, workers heating the thick glass rods, etc.

Copyright 2021

Forum     Back