Re: to re string or not re string this is the question/Mostly YES
Re: to re string or not re string this is the question -- sammi_tenn Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: AnneLFG Post Reply
06/05/2019, 22:52:07

If the beads are badly strung as in going to break, or are nice beads but strung badly and with a cheap clasp I restring. Also if I want to wear it, I have no problem redesigning to fit my aesthetic, though as someone pointed out- if it is really valuable "as is" I might not alter it. But a well designed (or redesigned) and well strung beaded piece should mean added value I should think.

Also to protect certain more delicate valuable beads I will restring and put in spacer beads just so beads won't "klonk" together, chip or otherwise get damaged. And it is good to TRY to use a certain type of stringing material such as silk with knotting in between for pearls, or a thoughtful material that "makes sense" in context- as in synthetic or genuine sinew in some Native American type necklaces.

To me the hooks are also important, as nothing brings a necklace down like a cheap barrel screw closure, when a simple or interesting handmade (or vintage) closure would make it all the more beautiful. I like handmade "S" or "J" hooks for most necklaces and especially bracelets as they are easy to use one handed. But using beads and loops as closures is also a favorite.

Wear it and Enjoy!

Bead lover, collector since Age 15, semi-retired had wholesale/retail bead, folk art, tribal art store Lost and Found Gallery for 25 yrs. in DT Greensboro, NC

Copyright 2019
All rights reserved by Bead Collector Network and its users
Followups