Post Message Search Overview RegisterLoginAdmin
An aventurine sommerso cabochon clasp puzzle
Post Reply Edit View All Forum
Posted by: beadiste Post Reply
04/11/2019, 09:15:55

Removed this string and clasp from a long strand of about 160 rootbeer brown "Russian" beads, and wonder if anyone here has seen anything like it - a box clasp that seems to feature a sort of fishhook as the tongue. It's quite tight and secure.

The glass cab is secured to the clasp with a pin (i.e., a hole drilled? from the back, over a little metal post, secured with glue judging from the gas bubbles, that does not break the surface of the cab).

Age? Victorian? c1900? 1930s? 1950s? Anyone care to make a guess?

I haven't burnt a snip of the string to see what it's made of.

SAM_0049bcn.jpg (239.2 KB)  SAM_0050BCN2.jpg (239.9 KB)  

Modified by beadiste at Thu, Apr 11, 2019, 09:21:26

Copyright 2019
All rights reserved by Bead Collector Network and its users
Re: An aventurine sommerso cabochon clasp puzzle
Re: An aventurine sommerso cabochon clasp puzzle -- beadiste Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: stefany Post Reply
04/11/2019, 10:11:10

to me this looks like a typical push snap fastener of base metal with a glass cab in a setting attached that may have matched the beads. 1930s---50s, these clasps were made in quantities.
the hook shape is probably not intended to hook onto anything but is springy enough to snap into the other part and grip until you squeeze it slightly to release... hope that makes sense!
it might have been recycled from another necklace.

Copyright 2019
The little butterfly tabs
Re: Re: An aventurine sommerso cabochon clasp puzzle -- stefany Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
04/11/2019, 11:40:42

The four little tabs helping hold the cab in place don't seem to be a feature of modern findings - they all seem to use some sort of prong arrangement.

Photo also shows where the hook catches to secure the clasp.

SAM_0051.JPG (247.0 KB)  

Copyright 2019
I have almost brand-new clasps that have the same hook design.
Re: An aventurine sommerso cabochon clasp puzzle -- beadiste Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: Rosanna Post Reply
04/11/2019, 10:21:09

Copyright 2019
Yeah, fishhooks are a standard design. But for a box clasp? I don't see that now.
Re: I have almost brand-new clasps that have the same hook design. -- Rosanna Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
04/11/2019, 11:34:15

The contemporary box clasps I've seen all have those little folded metal spring tongues. Only the filigree "pearl" clasps use the fishhook, and it requires hooking around a part of the clasp first before pushing it into locking position. This old clasp just requires a push into the slot.

Copyright 2019
Aha - I think I've found it
04/11/2019, 11:47:11

This sort of box clasp, soldered to the cab frame.

1950s-70s?

Fishhook_Box_Clasp.jpg (10.0 KB)  

Copyright 2019
yes- i have lots of these and use them to teach with-
Re: Aha - I think I've found it -- beadiste Post Reply Edit Forum Where am I?
Posted by: stefany Post Reply
04/11/2019, 14:50:18

they are inexpensively made from stamped and folded metal sheet with silver or gold-ish finish.
but you wouldn't usually see them used with nice chinese beads...
i find the push snaps are easiest for bracelets as they are not totally impossible to fasten with one hand...

Copyright 2019

Forum     Back